This paper presents the design of a novel wideband gap coupled sectoral antenna for communication systems. The circular patch is placed in the aperture of four sectoral rings. The antenna parameters are optimized using various simulations to attain good return loss and corresponding resonant frequency. The antenna operates in X-band at 10.35 GHz showing wideband characteristics along with high directivity and reduced side lobe level to a good extent. The antenna has also been studied using fuzzy inference system (FIS). The return loss and analogous frequency obtained from simulated results and fuzzy system are compared and in good agreement. Design is extended to an array of nine elements mutually coupled to the active fed patch. The antenna is fabricated, and the simulated results are found to be in good agreement with experimentally measured ones. A bandwidth of 900 MHz at resonant frequency of 10.35 GHz with a directivity of 7.0 dBi and reduced side lobe level of -18.9 dB is therefore obtained.
2. Bahl, J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
3. Gupta, K. C. and A. Benalla eds., Microstrip Antenna Design, Artech House, Canton, MA, 1988.
4. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, (IEE Electromagnetic Wave Series No. 28), Vol. 1–2, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, 1989.
5. Chang, T.-N. and J.-H. Jiang, "Enhance gain and bandwidth of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupled method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 127-139, 2009.
6. Aanandan, C. K., P. Mohanan, and K. G. Nair, "Broad-band gap coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1581-1586, 1990.
7. Kandwal, A., T. Chakravarty, and S. K. Khah, "Circuital method for admittance calculation of gap-coupled sectoral antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, 210-213, 2012.
8. Wood, C., "Improved bandwidth of microstrip antennas using parasitic elements," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 127, No. 4, 231-234, Aug. 1980.
9. Luk, K. M., C. L. Mak, Y. L. Chow, and K. F. Lee, "Broadband microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, No. 15, 1442-1443, Jul. 1998.
10. Lee, R. Q., K. F. Lee, and J. Bobinchak, "Characteristics of a two-layer electromagnetically coupled rectangular patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 20, 1070-1071, Sep. 1987.
11. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "A procedure to design stacked microstrip patch antenna based on a simple network model," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 3, 149-151, Aug. 2001.
12. Anguera, J., C. Puente, and C. Borja, "Dual frequency broadband microstrip antenna with a reactive loading and stacked elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 1-10, 2009.
13. Arnieri, E., L. Boccia, G. Amendola, and G. Di Massa, "A compact high gain antenna for small satellite applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 277-282, Feb. 2007.
14. Chen, Y. and C.-F. Wang, "Characteristic-mode-based improvement of circularly polarized U-slot and E-shaped patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1474-1477, 2012.
15. Chen, Y. and C. F. Wang, "Electrically small UAV antenna design using characteristic modes," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 2, 535-545, Feb. 2014.
16. Chen, Y. and C. Wang, "Surface integral equation based characteristic mode formulation for dielectric resonators," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. AP-S Int. Symp., 846-847, 2014.
17. Chen, Y. and C. Wang, "Dual-band directional/omni-directional liquid dielectric resonator antenna designs using characteristic modes," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. AP-S Int. Symp., 848-849, 2014.
18. Guney, K. and N. Sarikaya, "Resonant frequency calculation for circular microstrip antennas with a dielectric cover using adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system optimized by various algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 279-306, 2007.
19. Guha, D. and J. Y. Siddiqui, "Resonant frequency of circular microstrip antenna covered with dielectric superstrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1649-1652, 2003.
20. Guney, K. and N. Sarikaya, "Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system for the input resistance computation of rectangular microstrip antennas with thin and thick substrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 1, 23-39, 2004.
21. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997.
22. Jayasinghe, J. M. J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "Genetic algorithm optimization of a high-directivity microstrip patch antenna having a rectangular profile," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, 700-707, Sep. 2013.
23. Sharma, R., A. Kandwal, and S. K. Khah, "Wideband DGS circular ring microstrip antenna design using fuzzy approach with suppressed cross-polar radiations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 177-190, 2013.
24. PDF Documents on Fuzzy Logic Toolbox of Matlab 7.10.0, http://www.mathworks.com/, .