This paper presents a novel design of dual polarized space-fed antenna arrays with broad bandwidth and high isolation between two orthogonal ports. The dual polarized space-fed antenna arrays are designed with bottom radiating element electromagnetically coupled to two orthogonal open microstrip lines and top parasitic elements excited by the radiation from bottom radiating element, without any feed network for array elements excitation. Two space-fed antenna arrays with 7 and 19 parasitic elements, respectively, have been designed for 5.8 GHz frequency band and their performances are analyzed. The dual polarized space-fed array with 19 parasitic elements has been fabricated, and its performance is measured. The measured impedance bandwidth is 10.7%, isolation ≥32 dB between two orthogonal ports over entire bandwidth, maximum gain of 17.8 dBi and cross-polar levels ≤-29 dB.
2. Oestges, C., B. Clerckx, M. Guillaud, and M. Debbah, "Dual-polarized wireless communications: From propagation models to system performance evaluation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 7, No. 10, 4019-4031, 2008.
3. Erceg, V., H. Sampath, and S. C. Erceg, "Dual-polarization vs. single-polarization MIMO channel measurement results and modeling," IEEE Trans. Wireless Comm., Vol. 5, No. 1, 28-33, 2006.
4. Giulli, D., "Polarization diversity in radars," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 74, No. 2, 245-269, 1986.
5. Wang, Y. and V. Chandrasekar, "Polarization isolation requirements for linear dual-polarization weather radar in simultaneous transmission mode of operation," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 8, 2019-2028, 2006.
6. Wong, H., K.-L. Lau, and K.-M. Luk, "Design of dual-polarized L-probe patch antenna arrays with high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 1, 45-52, 2004.
7. Lai, , H.-W. and K.-M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2625-2677, 2007.
8. Wong, K. L., H.-C. Tung, and T.-W. Chiou, "Dual-polarized planar antenna fed by dog-bone slots," International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 45-48, Apr. 2001.
9. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "Dual polarized broad-band microstrip antennas fed by proximity coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 526-530, 2005.
10. Wong, K. L., H.-C. Tung, and T.-W. Chiou, "Broadband dual-polarized aperture-coupled patch antennas with modified H-shaped coupling slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 2, 188-191, 2002.
11. Wong, K. L. and T.-W. Chiou, "Broad-band dual-polarized patch antennas fed by capacitively coupled feed and slot-coupled feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 346-351, 2002.
12. Lau, K. L. and K. M. Luk, "A novel wideband circularly polarized patch antenna based on L-probe and aperture coupling techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 577-580, 2005.
13. Ononchimeg, S., J.-H. Bang, and B.-C. Ahn, "A new dual-polarized gap-fed patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 79-87, 2010.
14. Zhong, S.-S., X.-X. Yang, S.-C. Gao, and J.-H. Cui, "Corner-fed microstrip antenna element and arrays for dual-polarization operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 10, 1473-1480, 2002.
15. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "Low-cost dual polarized printed array with broad bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 12, 3394-3397, 2004.
16. Lau, K. L. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband dual-polarized L-probe stacked patch antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 529-532, 2007.
17. Acimovic, I., D. A. McNamara, and A. Petosa, "Dual-polarized microstrip patch planar array antennas with improved port-to-port isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3433-3439, 2008.
18. Mishra, P. K., D. R. Jahagirdar, and G. Kumar, "An array of broadband dual polarized electromagnetically coupled microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 44, 211-223, 2013.
19. Chakrabarti, S., "Development of shared aperture dual polarized microstrip antenna at L-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 294-297, 2011.
20. Jiang, X., Z. Zhang, Y. Li, and Z. Feng, "A planar wideband dual-polarized array for active antenna system," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 13, 544-547, 2014.
21. Zhao, X.-L., J. Jin, J.-C. Cheng, and L.-G. Liang, "A wideband dual-polarized array antenna with conical elements for Wi-Fi/WiMAX application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 13, 1609-1612, 2014.
22. IE3D EM Design System, Version 15.0, , Mentor Graphics Corp., Wilsonville, USA, 2010.