This paper describes a monopole antenna with dual-band switchable circular polarization (CP) sense in WLAN and WiMAX bands. The proposed antenna consists of a rectangular patch fed by a microstrip line and a ground plane embedded with a T-shaped slot integrated with PIN diodes. The slotted ground is capable of exciting CP sense around 2.45 GHz for WLAN and around 3.4 GHz for WiMAX, respectively. Two triangular strips are added to improve impedance matching. The CP sense of the proposed antenna can be reconfigured between the right-handed circular polarization (RHCP) and left-handed circular polarization (LHCP) by switching the states of PIN diodes in the slot. The lower band 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth is 8.6%, and the upper band 3-dB AR bandwidth is 20.8%, in which the return loss is less than -10-dB. Simulated analysis and measured results are carried out and good agreement is achieved.
2. Anagnostou, D. E. and A. A. Gheethan, "A coplanar reconfigurable folded slot antenna without bias network for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1057-1060, 2009.
3. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Broadband and dual-band coplanar folded-slot antennas (CFSAs)," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 80-89, Feb. 2011.
4. Boti, M., L. Dussopt, and J. M. Laheurte, "Circularly polarised antenna with switchable polarisation sense," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, 1518-1519, Aug. 31, 2000.
5. Kim, B., B. Pan, S. Nikolaou, Y.-S. Kim, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel single-feed circular microstrip antenna with reconfigurable polarization capability," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 630-638, Mar. 2008.
6. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-449, Feb. 2006.
7. Mak, K. M. and K. M. Luk, "A circularly polarized antenna with wide axial ratio beamwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3309-3312, Oct. 2009.
8. Jou, C., J. W. Wu, and C. J. Wang, "Novel broadband monopole antennas with dual-band circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1027-1034, Apr. 2009.
9. Tsai, J.-F. and J.-S. Row, "Reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2857-2860, May 2013.
10. Sung, Y. J., T. U. Jang, and Y. S. Kim, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna for switchable polarization," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 534-536, Nov. 2004.
11. Li, W.-M., B. Liu, and H.-W. Zhao, "The U-shaped structure in dual-band circularly polized slot antenna design," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 447-450, 2014.
12. Sung, Y., "Dual-band circularly polarized pentagonal slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 259-261, 2011.
13. Wadell, B. C., Transmission Line Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 1991.
14. Chen, C.-H. and E. K. N. Yung, "A novel unidirectional dual-band circularly-polarized patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 8, 3052-3057, Aug. 2011.