This paper introduces a new method for the design and realization of two monopulse antennas with circular polarization and unique phase center for two different frequency bands. The design uses compact sequential-rotation serially fed 2×2 patch array for each section of the monopulse antenna for X band at 8.2 GHz and a patch for S band at 2.25 GHz. The patches are placed on one layer, and the monopulse network and feeds are placed on different layers. The antennas use sequential rotation serial feeds with four and three probes for X band and S band, respectively. Also, the packaging and coupling effects are considered and compensated for this design. Finally, the antenna with a compact multi-layer structure is fabricated, and the simulation results are validated. The bandwidth of X band monopulse antenna system is at least 12.7% in simulation and 10% in fabrication, and it is about 10.2% and 10.3% for S band in simulation and fabrication, respectively. While the phase centers of both frequency bands are approximately at one point, the antenna system can be employed as a feed for reflectors.
2. Nystrom, G. L., "Synthesis of broad-band 3-dB hybrids based on the 2-way power divider," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 29, No. 3, 189-194, Mar. 1981.
3. Fartookzadeh, M., S. H. Mohseni Armaki, and M. Kazerooni, "A novel 180◦ hybrid based on the modified Gysel power divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 209-222, 2012.
4. Arigong, B., J. Shao, M. Zhou, J. Ding, H. S. Kim, and H. Zhang, "A novel dual-band rat-race coupler," IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 2014.
5. Marcus Oliver, J., P. Ralston, E. Cullens, L. Ranzanic, K. Vanhille, and S. Raman, "A W-band micro coaxial passive monopulse comparator network with integrated cavity-backed patch antenna array," 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2011.
6. Wang, H., D. G. Fang, and X. G. Chen, "A compact single layer monopulse microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 503-509, Feb. 2006.
7. Liu, B., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, X. Yin, G. Luo, J. Chen, H. Tang, and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) monopulse slot antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 275, 2009.
8. Masa-Campos, J. L. and P. Rodriguez-Fernandez, "Monopulse circularly polarized SIW slot array antenna in millimetre band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 857-868, 2011.
9. Subbarao, B. and V. Fusco, "Probe-fed circularly polarised monopulse radial line slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 21, 1495-1496, 2003.
10. Kumar, C., V. S. Kumar, and V. V. Srinivasan, "Design aspects of a compact dual band feed using dielectric rod antennas with multiple element monopulse tracking," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 10, Oct. 2013.
11. Nasimuddin, K. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, "Compact circularly polarized enhanced gain microstrip antenna on high permittivity substrate," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacific Conf., APMC 2005, Vol. 4, 2005.
12. Ferrero, F., C. Luxey, G. Jacquemod, and R. Staraj, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 1, 13-15, 2005.
13. Zhou, Y., C. C. Chen, and aJ. L. Volakis, "Single-fed circularly polarized antenna element with reduced coupling for GPS arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1469-1472, 2008.
14. Bernard, L., G. Chertier, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antennas on reactive impedance substrates," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 359-362, 2010.
15. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 5, 219-319, 2010.
16. Wu, Z. H., Y. Lou, and E. K. Yung, "A circular patch fed by a switch line balun with printed L-probes for broadband CP performance," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 608-611, 2007.
17. Guo, Y. X., K. W. Khoo, and L. C. Ong, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antenna using broadband baluns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 319-326, 2008.
18. Lin, C., F.-S. Zhang, Y.-C. Jiao, F. Zhang, and X. Xue, "A three-fed microstrip antenna for wideband circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 359-362, 2010.
19. Lo, W. K., C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Bandwidth enhancement of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using multiple L-shaped probe feeds," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 4, 263-265, 2004.
20. Huang, J., "C.P. microstrip array with wide axial ratio bandwidth and single feed L.P. elements," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., 705-708, 1985.
21. Teshirogi, T., M. Tanaka, and W. Chujo, "Wide-band circularly polarized array antenna with sequential rotations and phase shift of elements," Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., ISAP, 117-120, Tokyo, Japan, 1985.
22. Chung, D. C., C. H. Yun, K. H. An, S. H. Lim, S. Y. Choi, B. S. Han, J. H. Oh, M. H. Kwak, S. H. Jung, K. Y. Kang, S. K. Han, J. S. Hwang, T. H. Sung, and H. S. Choi, "HTS microstrip antenna array for circular polarization with cryostat," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 15, No. 2, 1048-1051, 2005.
23. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and K. P. Esselle, "Wideband circularly polarized microstrip antenna array using a new single feed network," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1784-1789, 2008.
24. Hung, K. F. and Y. C. Lin, "Broadband printed circularly-polarised aperture antenna array for millimetre-wave gigabit applications," Electronics Lett., Vol. 44, No. 25, 1439-1441, 2008.
25. Weng, C. H., H. W. Liu, C. H. Ku, and C. F. Yang, "Dual circular polarisation microstrip array antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Electronics Lett., Vol. 46, No. 9, 609-611, 2010.
26. Shahabadi, M., D. Busuioc, A. Borji, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Low-cost, high-efficiency quasi-planar array of waveguide-fed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 6, 2036-2043, 2005.
27. Evans, H., P. Gale, B. Aljibouri, E. G. Lim, E. Korolkciwicz, and A. Sambel, "Application of simulated annealing to design of serial feed sequentially rotated 2 × 2 antenna array," Electronics Lett., Vol. 36, 1987-1988, 2000.
28. Jazi, M. N. and M. N. Azarmanesh, "Design and implementation of circularly polarized microstrip antenna array using a new serial feed sequentially rotated technique," Inst. Elect. Eng. Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 2, 133-140, 2006.
29. Chen, A., Y. Zhang, Z. Chen, and C. Yang, "Development of a Ka-band wideband circularly polarized 64-element microstrip antenna array with double application of the sequential rotation feeding technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, 1270-1273, 2011.
30. Gao, S., Y. Qin, and A. Sambell, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized printed antennas and array," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 4, 57-64, 2007.
31. Bilotti, F. and C. Vegni, "Design of high-performing microstrip receiving GPS antennas with multiple feeds," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 248-251, 2010.
32. Fartookzadeh, M. and S. H. Mohseni Armaki, "Serial-feed for a circular patch antenna with circular polarization suitable for arrays," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 5, 529-535, 2014.