Ultra Wideband (UWB) has been deliberated as a promising technology for short-range wireless communication with large unlicensed frequency band for commercial, enterprise private and public uses. Designing an antenna of compact size for portable wireless devices is one of the challenges especially for UWB based wireless communication technologies. In this paper, a novel smiley fractal antenna, employed with N-notch feed and modified ground plane, is designed and developed to achieve the desired characteristics. The proposed antenna is of compact size with dimensions of 34×32×1.6 mm3, fabricated on an FR-4 substrate with εr=4.4. The radiation pattern of the proposed antenna is omni-directional with a maximum gain of 4.83 dB and efficiency of 93.55% obtained through 3D electromagnetic simulation software tools. The simulated results are compared with measured ones using RF equipment. The results obtained show that the proposed Smiley Fractal Antenna (SFA) is a suitable candidate for UWB wireless communication application.
2. Aiello, G. R. and G. D. Rogerson, "Ultra-wideband wireless systems," IEEE Microwave Magazine, 36-47, June 2003.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition, N.J. Wiley, 2005.
4. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas for All Applications, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2002.
5. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, Antennas: From Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2008.
6. Batra, R., P. L. Zade, and D. Sagne, "Design and implementation of Sierpinski Carpet fractal antenna for wireless communication," IJSRET, Vol. 1, No. 3, 43-47, July 2012.
7. Garg, R., "Progress in microstrip antenna," IETE Technical Review, Vol. 18, No. 2–3, 85-98, March-June 2001.
8. Singh, K., V. Grewal, and R. Saxena, "Fractal antenna: A novel miniaturization technique for wireless communication," International Journal of Recent Trends in Enginnering, Vol. 2, No. 5, November 2009.
9. Haji-Hashemi, , M. R., M. Mir-Mohammas Sadeghi, and V. M. Moghtadai, "Space filling patch antenna with CPW feed," PIERS Proceedings, 69-73, Cambridge, USA, March 26-29, 2009.
10. Sayem, A. T. M. and M. Ali, "Characteristics of a microstrip fed miniature printed Hilbert slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 1-18, 2006.
11. Liu, J. C., B. H. Zeng, H. L. Chen, S. S. Bor, and D. C. Chang, "Compact fractal antenna with self-complimentary Hilbert curves for WLAN dual-bnd and circular polarization application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2535-2539, November 2010.
12. Wang, Y. K., , J. S. Luo, and Y. Li, "Investigations on the K-Sierpinski carpet fractal antenna," Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, 382, July 2011.
13. Karim, M. N. A., M. K. A. Rahim, and T. Masri, "Fractal koch dipole antenna for UHF band application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2612-2614, November 2009.
14. Rohani, J. and A. Azari, "Koch fractal antenna for UWB applications," PIERS Proceedings, 889-891, Cambridge, USA, July 5-8, 2010.
15. Azari, A. and J. Rowhani, "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
16. Karmakar, A., R. Ghatak, and D. R. poddar, "Dual band notched fractal UWB antenna," Indian Antenna Week (IAW), 2011.
17. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified UWB planar monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch functions," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 112-114, 2006.
18. www.ansys.com, .
19. www.speag.com, .