Fire-resistant turbine oil is widely used in thermal power plant. As the service time increases, its lubrication and electrical characteristic degrade. This work proposes a mini NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) sensor for assessing the degradation of the turbine oils used in real time and in vivo. Two magnetic discs with poles opposed were separated in a distance to generate a relative homogeneous static magnetic field between them. A solenoid coil was placed between the magnets as the RF coil. The dimensions of the sensor are 30 mm×30 mm×36 mm and the mass is 107 g. The T1 and T2eff of the turbine oils from two different power plants were measured. The results demonstrated that an increase of the service time of turbine oils clearly results in a decrease of T1 and T2eff. This method of monitoring degradation of turbine oils could lead to the use of NMR to assess the degradation level of turbine oils in service.
2. Shi, Q. G., "Frameworks of energy audit for thermal power plants," Journal of Shanghai University of Electric Power, Vol. 25, No. 5, 500-504, 2009.
3. Griffin, T., S. G. Sundvist, K. Asen, and T. Bruun, "Advanced zero emissions gas turbine power plant," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 127, No. 1, 81-85, 2005.
4. Wächter, C., R. Lunderstädt, and F. Joos, "Dynamic model of a pressurized SOFC/Gas turbine hybrid power plant for the development of control concepts," Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 3, 271-279, 2006.
5. Masoumi, E., G. H. Farrahi, K. A. Masoumi, A. A. Zare, and S. Parsa, "Failure analysis of a gas turbine compressor in a thermal power plant," Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 13, No. 3, 313-319, 2013.
6. Jericha, H., V. Hacker, W. Sanz, and G. Zotter, "Thermal steam power plant fired by hydrogen and oxygen in stoichiometric ratio, using fuel cells and gas turbine cycle components," Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 3, 513-520, 2010.
7. Cooper, T. and K. Ullmann, "Fire loss history and advances in fire protection for US based electric utilities," VGB PowerTech, Vol. 80, No. 8, 19-21, 2000.
8. Vilyanskaya, G. D., V. V. Lysko, and M. S. Fragin, "Improving fire prevention in turbine plants by using fire-resistant oils," Thermal Engineering, Vol. 35, No. 4, 193-195, 1988.
9. Vilyanskaya, G. D., V. V. Lysko, M. S. Fragin, and A. G. Vainstein, "VTI fire-resistant turbine oils and the part played by them in increasing fire protection at thermal and nuclear power stations," Thermal Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 7, 38-41, 1991.
10. Zhang, X. M., J. Yuan, B. Chen, P. Li, Y. B. Zhang, and L. C.Wang, "Cause of quality degradation and dehydration purification technology of phosphate ester fire-resistant oil," Environmental Science Technology, Vol. 35, 129-133, 2012.
11. Huang, W. Q., "Degradation reason of EH fire-resistant oil and regeneration," Power Equipment, Vol. 3, 216-218, 2010.
12. Yan, B., X. D. Lai, J. H. Long, X. Huang, and F. Hao, "Dynamic characteristics analysis of an oil turbine," 2012 International Conference on Modern Hydraulic Engineering, Vol. 28, 12-17, 2012.
13. McDonald, C. F. and J. A. Paget, "Maintenance considerations in the design of the direct-cycle nuclear gas turbine power plant," American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 79-GT-116, 1979.
14. Günther, R., "Operating Experience with Synthetic Fluids in the Control and Governing Systems of Steam Turbines," VGB PowerTech, Vol. 77, No. 12, 930-934, 1997.
15. Dong, Z. Q., "The operation and maintenance for the oil used in regulating system of steam turbine," Northeast Electric Power Technology, Vol. 3, 12-14, 2001.
16. Bartl, P., K. Zuber, M. Leipold, and A. Zeman, "Quality control of used synthetic aviation turbine oils by analytical methods. I. Determination of the antioxidative capacity by HPLC and GC," Fresenius’ Zeitschrift für Analytische Chemie, Vol. 314, No. 1, 25-28, 1983.
17. Xu, Z., S. J. Zhao, and P. Guo, "A portable NMR sensor used for assessing the aging status of silicone rubber insulator," Applied Magnetic Resonance, Vol. 44, 1405-1417, 2013.
18. Somers, A. E., T. J. Bastow, M. I. Burgar, M. Forsyth, and A. J. Hill, "Quantifying rubber degradation using NMR," Polymer Degradation and Stability, Vol. 70, 31-37, 2000.
19. Guo, P., W. He, and J. C. García-Naranjo, "Degradation of phosphate ester hydraulic fluid in power station turbines investigated by a three-magnet unilateral magnet array," Sensors, Vol. 14, 6797-6805, 2014.
20. Hurlimann, M. D., "Well logging," Encyclopedia of Magnetic Resonance, 1-10, Wiley, New York, 1996.