In this paper, a novel microstrip antenna array with reduced radar cross-section (RCS) in grazing angle is proposed and studied. We define that the grazing angle θ of radar incident wave ranges from 80° to 90°. Under the condition that the incident wave is in grazing angle, a microstrip antenna designed by the techniques of miniaturization and ground-cut slots is given firstly. Compared with a traditional rectangle microstrip antenna, the RCS peaks of the proposed antenna are efficiently controlled over the frequency range of 4~16 GHz. Based on the design above, the proposed antenna is chosen as an element to design a 2×2 antenna array. Analysis and optimization of the arrangement of the array is made to achieve more RCS reduction. The measured results of radiation performance accord with the simulated ones, which indicate that the proposed method is feasible.
2. Pouliguen, P., R. Hemon, C. Bourlier, J.-F. Damiens, and J. Saillard, "Analytical formulae for radar cross section of at plates in near field and normal incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 263-279, 2008.
3. Li, N.-J., C.-F. Hu, L.-X. Zhang, and J.-D. Xu, "Overview of RCS extrapolation techniques to aircraft targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 249-262, 2008.
4. Nasimuddin, X. Qing, Z. N. Chen, "Compact asymmetric-slit microstrip antennas for circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2011.
5. Chakraborty, U., "A comact microstrip patch antenna for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 211-220, 2011.
6. Li, Y., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "Microstrip antenna using ground-cut slots for low RCS with size miniaturization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 211-220, 2008.
7. Zhu, X., W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012.
8. Shang, Y., S. Xiao, M.-C. Tang, Y.-Y. Bai, and B. Wang, "Radar cross section reduction for a microstrip patch antenna using PIN diodes," IET Microw. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 6, 670-679, 2012.
9. Shang, Y., S. Xiao, and B. Wang, "Out-of-service RCS reduction of a rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 49-50, Singapore, 2012.
10. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "A frequency selective absorbing ground plane for low-RCS microstrip antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 317-332, 2012.
11. Zhang, J., J. Wang, M. Chen, and Z. Zhang, "RCS reduction of patch array antenna by electromagnetic band-gap structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1048-1051, 2012.
12. Jiang, W., S. X. Gong, Y. Li, T. Hong, X. Wang, and L. Jiang, "A novel los RCS mobius-band monopole antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1887-1895, 2009.
13. Misran, N., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "RCS reduction technique for reflectarray antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1630-1632, 2003.
14. Jiang, W. and S. Gong, "Theoretic study of single-port antenna scattering," Tien Tzu Hsueh Pao/Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 39, No. 9, 2004-2007, 2011.