Electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures are usually realized by periodic arrangement of dielectric materials. These periodic structures can help in the reduction of mutual coupling in array antennas. In this paper a new arrangement of EBG structures is presented for reducing mutual coupling between patch antenna MIMO arrays. The patch antennas operate at 5.35 GHz which is defined for wireless application. Here 2×5 EBG structures are used to reduce mutual coupling more than 20 dB. The total size of the antenna is 36 mm×68 mm×1.6 mm. So it is more compact in than pervious research. Experimental results of return loss and antenna pattern have been presented for 5.4 GHz and compared with HFSS simulation results. Also the EBG structures have been designed with numerical modeling and dispersion diagram. New EBG model is compared with conventional EBG model, and equivalent circuit model is given for new structure.
2. Rahimi, M., F. B. Zarrabi, R. Ahmadian, Z. Mansouri, and A. Keshtkar, "Miniaturization of antenna for wireless application with difference metamaterial structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 19-29, 2014.
3. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
4. Chaimool, S., C. Rakluea, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Compact wideband microstrip thinned array antenna using EBG superstrate," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 66, 49-53, 2012.
5. Hwang, R.-B., H.-W. Liu, and C.-Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009.
6. Fan, Y. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003.
7. Zhao, L., D. Yang, H. Tian, Y. Ji, and K. Xu, "A pole and AMC point matching method for the synthesis of HSF-UC-EBG structure with simultaneous AMC and EBG properties," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 137-157, 2013.
8. Ahmadian, R., S. Sharma, M. Rahimi, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Investigation of EBG array performance on decreasing the mutual coupling," 2014 Fourth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies (ACCT), 359-362, IEEE, 2014.
9. Yuan, T., H. Hafdallah-Ouslimani, A. C. Priou, G. Lacotte, and G. Collignon, "Dual-layer EBG structures for low-profile ‘bent’ monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 315-337, 2013.
10. Mirhadi, S. and M. Kamyab, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array using double negative substrate," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 64, 469-474, 2010.
11. Xiao, S., M.-C. Tang, Y.-Y. Bai, S. Gao, and B.-Z. Wang, "Mutual coupling suppression in microstrip array using defected ground structure," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 12, 1488-1494, 2011.
12. Zheng, Q.-R., Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "A novel compact spiral electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1656-1660, 2008.
13. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010.
14. Yang, X. M., X. G. Liu, X. Y. Zhou, and T. J. Cui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely packed patch antennas using waveguided metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 389-391, 2012.
15. Salehi, M. and A. Tavakoli, "A novel low mutual coupling microstrip antenna array design using defected ground structure," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 60, 718-723, 2006.
16. Xie, H.-H., Y.-C. Jiao, L.-N. Chen, and F.-S. Zhang, "An effective analysis method for EBG reducing patch antenna coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 187-193, 2011.
17. Moghadasi, S. M., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
18. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010.
19. Islam, M. T. and M. S. Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013.
20. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
21. Mohajer-Iravani, B., S. Shahparnia, and O. M. Ramahi, "Coupling reduction in enclosures and cavities using electromagnetic band gap structures," IEEE Transactions Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, 292-303, 2006.
22. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2936-2946, 2003.
23. Mohajer-Iravani, B. and O. M. Ramahi, "Wideband circuit model for planar EBG structures," IEEE Transactions Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, 169-179, 2010.
24. Elsheakh, D. M. N., M. F. Iskander, E. A.-F. Abdallah, H. A. Elsadek, and H. Elhenawy, "Microstrip array antenna with new 2D-electromagnetic band gap structure shapes to reduce harmonics and mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 203-213, 2010.
25. Payandehjoo, K. and R. Abhari, "Highly-isolated unidirectional multi-slot-antenna systems for enhanced MIMO performance," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 24, 1-10, 2013.
26. Li, K., Y.-M. Cai, L. Li, and C.-H. Liang, "Design of a miniaturized zeroth- and first-order resonant antenna with mushroom cells and interdigital capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 1-5, 2014.
27. Yuan, T., H. Hafdallah-Ouslimani, A. C. Priou, G. Lacotte, and G. Collignon, "Dual-layer EBG structures for low-profile ‘bent’ monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 315-337, 2013.
28. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Apr. 7, 2004.
29. Kirschning, M., R. H. Jansen, and N. H. L. Koster, "Measurement and computer-aided modeling of microstrip discontinuities by an improved resonator method," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 495-497, May 1983.