To remotely detect corona discharge from High-Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) transmission lines, a detecting system combining detecting platform and data progressing system is designed. Detecting platform is developed resorting to the principle of differential noise reduction, which can fulfill narrow-band detection breaking away interference from broadcasting and easily catch the electrostatic discharge signal. To get rid of interference from spark discharge, a data progressing system containing feature extractions, clustering and recognition technologies is developed. Clustering is realized by extracting five discharge features, including peak factor, form factor, skewness, kurtosis and mean square error. The unsupervised clustering Fuzzy C-Means (FCM) method is used to achieve fast separation for electrostatic discharges and provide training set for pattern recognition. Pattern recognition resorts to Support Vector Machine (SVM) method. For comparison, Back Propagation (BP) and Learning Vector Quantization (LVQ) approaches are taken to test the recognition ability. The results show that SVM recognizer with a recognition rate of 97.5% achieves higher performance than BP and LVQ methods. It can be concluded that the detecting system can be an interesting alternative for electrostatic discharge detection.
2. Maruvada, P. S., Corona Performance of High-voltage Transmission Lines, Research Studies Press Ltd, England, 2000.
3., CISPR TR 18-1 ED.2, "Radio interference characteristics of overhead power lines and high-voltage equipment-part 1,", 2010.
4., CISPR TR 18-1 ED.2, "Radio interference characteristics of overhead power lines and high-voltage equipment-part 2,", 2010.
5. Zhou, C., Y. Liu, and X. Rui, "Mechanism and characteristic of rain-induced vibration on highvoltage transmission line," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 8, 2505-2510, 2012.
6. Bracken, T. D., R. S. Senior, and W. H. Bailey, "DC electric fields from corona-generated space charge near AC transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, No. 2, 1692-1702, 2005.
7. Hatanaka, G. K., "Field measurement of VHF noise from an operating 500-kV power line," IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., Vol. 100, No. 2, 863-872, 1981.
8. Huertas, J. I., R. Barraza, and J. M. Echeverry, "Wireless data transmission from inside electromagnetic fields," Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 44, No. 2, 88-97, 2010.
9. Chartier, V. L., et al., "Electromagnetic interference measurements at 900 MHz on 230 kV and 500 kV transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 2, No. 2, 140-149, 1986.
10. Chao, F., et al., "Impact factors in measurements of ion-current density produced by high-voltage DC wire’s corona," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 28, No. 3, 1414-1422, 2013.
11. Radwan, R. M. and A. M. Mahdy, "Electric field mitigation under extra high voltage power lines," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 20, No. 1, 54-62, 2013.
12. Lv, F., S. You, Y. Liu, Q. Wan, and Z. Zhao, "AC conductors’ corona-loss calculation and analysis in corona cage," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 2, 877-885, 2012.
13. Morris, R. M., A, . R. Morse, J. P. Griffin, O. C. Norris-Elye, C. V. Thio, and J. S. Goodman, "The corona and radio interference performance of the Nelson river HVDC transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., Vol. 98, No. 6, 1924-1936, 1979.
14. Maryvada, P. S., "Electric field and ion current environment of HVdc transmission lines: Comparison of calculations and measurements," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 1, 401-410, 2012.
15. Vahidi, B., M. J. Alborzi, and H. Aghaeinia, "Corona detection on surfaces of insulators using ultrasound sensors and fibre-optic transmission system," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 15, No. 5, 413-424, 2005.
16. Fromm, U. and F. H. Kreuger, "Statistical behavior of partial discharge at DC voltage," Japanese J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 33, 6708-6715, 1994.
17. Fromm, U., "Interpretation of partial discharges at DC voltage," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 2, No. 5, 761-769, Oct. 1995.
18. Fromm, U., "Partial discharge and breakdown testing at high dc voltage,", Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands), Delft University Press, ISBN 90-407-1155-0, 1995.
19. Morshuis, P., M. Jeroense, and J. Beyer, "Partial discharge part XXIV: The analysis of PD in HVDC equipment," IEEE Electr. Insul. Mag., Vol. 13, No. 2, 6-16, 1997.
20. Gulski, E., H. P. Burger, G. H. Vaillancourt, and R. Brooks, "PD pattern analysis during induced test of large power transformers," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Insul., Vol. 7, No. 1, 95-101, Feb. 2000.
21. Morshuis, P. H. F. and J. J. Smit, "Partial discharges at voltage: Their Mechanism, detection and analysis," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Insul., Vol. 12, No. 2, 763-808, 2005.
22. Wang, M. H., "Partial discharge pattern recognition of current transformers using an ENN," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 20, No. 3, 1984-1990, 2005.
23. Wang, M. H., "Extension neural network-type 2 and its applications," IEEE Trans. Neural Netw., Vol. 16, No. 6, 1352-1361, 2005.
24. Si, W., J. Li, P. Yuan, and Y. Li, "Digital detection, grouping and classification of partial discharge signals at DC voltage," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Insul., Vol. 15, No. 6, 1663-1674, 2008.
25. Yamamoto, S. and O. Ozeki, "Properties of high-frequency conducted noise from automotive electrical accessories," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 25, No. 1, 2-7, 1983.
26. Xiao, J., D. Pommerenke, J. L. Drewniak, H. Shumiya, T. Yamada, and K. Araki, "Model of secondary ESD for a portable electronic product," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 3, 546-555, 2012.
27. Dempster, A. P., N. M. Laird, and D. B. Rubin, "Maximum likelihood from incomplete data via the EM algorithm," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B, Vol. 39, No. 1, 1-38, 1977.
28. Rohlfing, T., D. L. B. Russakoff, and C. R. Maurer, "Performance-based classifier combination in atlas-based image segmentation using expectation-maximization parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, Vol. 23, 983-994, 2004.
29. Kanungo, T., D. M. Mount, N. S. Netanyahu, C. D. Piatko, and Y. Wu, "An efficient k-means clustering algorithm: Analysis and implementation," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 24, No. 7, 881-892, Jul. 2002.
30. Zhang, S., R. Wang, and X. Zhang, "Identification of overlapping community structure in complex networks using fuzzy C-means clustering," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Vol. 374, No. 1, 483-490, 2007.
31. Dunn, J. C., "A fuzzy relative of the ISODATA process and its use in detecting compact well-separated clusters," J. Cybernet., Vol. 3, No. 3, 32-57, 1973.
32. Bezdek, J. C., Pattern Recognition with Fuzzy Objective Function Algorithms, Plenum Press, New York, 1981.
33. Camastra, F. and A. Vinciarelli, "Cursive character recognition by learning vector quantization," Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 22, No. 6, 625-629, 2001.
34. Camastra, F. and A. Vinciarelli, "Combining neural gas and learning vector quantization for cursive character recognition," Neurocomputing, Vol. 51, 147-159, Apr. 2003.
35. Vapnik, V. N., Statistical Learning Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
36. Sharkawy, R. M., R. S. Mangoubi, T. K. Abdel-Galil, M. M. Salama, and R. Bartnikas, "SVM classification of contaminating particles in liquid dielectrics using higher order statistics of electrical and acoustic PD measurements," IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 14, No. 3, 669-678, 2007.