In this paper, a novel folded metal-plate monopole antenna is presented for indoor digital television (DTV) signal coverage in the 454-1300 MHz band. The proposed antenna consists of a folded metal-plate with two asymmetrical bevels and a shorted pin connecting the metal-plate with a ground plane. The folded structure extends the lower frequency band and reduces the height of the antenna for better application to DTV. Experiment results show that the antenna achieves a bandwidth for |S11| < -10 dB ranging from 454 MHz to 1300 MHz and shows stable radiation patterns in three coordinate planes.
2. Chen, H.-D., "Compact broadband microstrip-line-fed sleeve monopole antennas for DTV application and ground plane effect," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 497-550, 2008.
3. Yu, Y. and J. Choi, "Design of a low-profile antenna for DTV application," 10th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, 1325-1327, 2008.
4. Jeng, B. M. and C. H. Luo, "Integrated DTV antenna for portable media player application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 49-56, 2011.
5. Zhou, S. G., B. H. Su, Y. F. Wei, and Q. Z. Liu, "Low profile wideband antenna with shaped beams for indoor DVB-H applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 23, 1151-1152, 2009.
6. Lao, K. L. and K. M. Luk, "A wide-band monopole wire-patch antenna for indoor base station applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 155-157, 2005.
7. Wu, B. Q. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband, low-profile, conical-beam antenna with horizontal polarization for indoor wireless communications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 634-636, 2009.
8. Ammann, M. J., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antenna using a beveling technique," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, No. 10, 229-232, 2001.
9. Kang, C.-H., S.-J. Wu, and J.-H. Tarng, "A novel folded UWB antenna for wireless body area network," IEEE Antenna Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1139-1142, 2012.