An extremely simple design of a planar Fabry-Pérot cavity antenna is proposed as a very promising candidate for millimeter-wave wireless systems. The simplicity of this design is obtained by using a dielectric slab, here quartz, to form a single-layer cavity with thin layers of copper etched/printed on both sides, to form the ground plane on one side and the frequency-selective surface (FSS) on the opposite side of the slab. By keeping the planarity of the structure and not-requiring an additional supporting layer, the cavity is excited using an integrated feeding-slot antenna etched on its ground plane. The variations in the radiation properties of the proposed antenna, linked to its leaky-wave behavioral explanation, are studied by designing three prototypes with different maximum gain values. The prototype FPCs are designed to operate for Q-band wireless communication systems (here, resonating at three different frequencies in the range of 42-46 GHz). The performance of the designed antennas, backed by initial analytical and numerical simulations, is verified with a full set of measurement results.
2. Biglarbegian, B., M. Fakharzadeh, M. R. Nezhad-Ahmadi, et al., "Optimized patch array antenna for 60 GHz wireless applications," IEEE Intl. Symp. Antennas Propag., 1-4, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Jul. 2010.
3. Tseng, C.-H., C.-J. Chen, and T.-H. Chu, "A low-cost 60-GHz switched-beam patch antenna array with Butler matrix network," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Letters, Vol. 7, 432-435, 2008.
4. Zhao, T. X., D. R. Jackson, J. T. Williams, et al., "General formulas for 2-D leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3525-3533, 2005.
5. Lovat, G., P. Burghignoli, and D. R. Jackson, "Fundamental properties and optimization of broadside radiation from uniform leaky-wave antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1442-1452, 2006.
6. Hosseini, S. A., F. Capolino, F. De Flaviis, et al., "Improved method to estimate the 3 dB power bandwidth of a Fabry-Pérot cavity antenna covered by a thin frequency selective surface," IEEE Intl. Symp. Antennas Propag., 1-4, Spokane, WA, Jul. 2011.
7. Lovat, G., P. Burghignoli, F. Capolino, et al., "Highly-directive planar leaky-wave antennas: A comparison between metamaterial-based and conventional designs," Proc. Europ. Microw. Assoc., Vol. 2, 12-21, 2006.
8. Ostner, H., E. Schmidhammer, J. Detlefsen, et al., "Radiation from dielectric leaky-wave antennas with circular and rectangular apertures," Electromagnetics, Vol. 17, 505-535, 1997.
9. Sauleau, R., P. Coquet, and T. Matsui, "Low-profile directive quasi-planar antennas based on millimeter wave Fabry-Perot cavities," Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, 274-278, 2003.
10. Lee, Y., X. Lu, Y. Hao, et al., "Low-profile directive millimeter-wave antennas using free-formed three-dimensional (3-D) electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2893-2903, 2009.
11. Franson, S. J. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Gigabit per second data transfer in high-gain metamaterial structures at 60 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2913-2925, 2009.
12. Hosseini, S. A., F. Capolino, and F. De Flaviis, "A 44GHz single-feed Fabry-P´erot cavity antenna designed and fabricated on Quartz," IEEE Intl. Symp. Antennas Propag., 1-4, Spokane, WA, Jul. 2011.
13. Hosseini, S. A., F. De Flaviis, and F. Capolino, "A highly directive single-feed Fabry-Perot cavity antenna for 60GHz technology," IEEE Intl. Symp. Antennas Propag., 1-2, Chicago, IL, Jul. 2012.
14. Burghignoli, P., G. Lovat, F. Capolino, et al., "Directive leaky-wave radiation from a dipole source in a wire-medium slab," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 1329-1339, 2008.
15. Chemglass Scientific Apparatus, www.chemglass.com, .
16. Gardelli, R., M. Albani, and F. Capolino, "Array thinning by using antennas in a Fabry-Perot cavity for gain enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 7, 1979-1990, 2006.
17. Kelly, J., G. Passalacqua, A. P. Feresidis, et al., "Simulations and measurements of dual-band 2D periodic leaky wave antenna," Loughborough Antennas and Propaga. Conf., 293-296, 2007.
18. Ronciére, O., B. A. Arcos, R. Sauleau, et al., "Radiation performance of purely metallic waveguide-fed compact Fabry-Perot antennas for space applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 2216-2221, 2009.