This article proposes a new design of wideband wide beam microstrip like antenna (MLA) in X-band (8-12 GHz) overcoming the limitations of conventional MLA design. The waveguide is filled with a dielectric material, which is shaped beyond the waveguide aperture as a pyramidal structure. This helps in achieving the size reduction of the waveguide and matching of aperture admittance over the complete operational band. Also a vertical electric dipole feed design is proposed to excite MLA and match the source and load admittances. The input reflection coefficient observed over the complete band is better than -10 dB. The measured gain and cross polarized levels of antenna achieved are better than 3 dBi and -18 dB across the bandwidth, respectively. The measured and simulated results are in good agreement.
2. Balanis, C. A. Ed., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
3. Pozar, D. M. and D. H. Schaubert Eds., Microstrip Antennas: The Analysis and Design of Microstrip Antennas and Arrays, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
4. Schaubert, D., "A class of E-plane scan blindnesses in single-polarized arrays of tapered-slot antennas with a ground plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 7, 954-959, 1996.
5. Amitay, N., V. Galindo, and C. P. Wu, Theory and Analysis of Phased Array Antennas, Wiley Interscience, 1971.
6. Wunsch, G. J., "Radiation characteristics of dual-polarized notch antenna arrays,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2007.
7. Tran, D. P., M. Tian, and L. P. Ligthart, "Theory and practice of a novel miniature radiator: The microstrip-like antenna," IEEE Symp. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 2, 422-426, 1994.
8. Ligthart, L. P., "Antenna design and characterization based on the elementary antenna concept,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Dutch E±ciency Bureau, Pijnacker, 1985.
9. Hajian, M., D. P. Tran, and L. P. Ligthart, "Design of a wideband miniature dielectric-filled waveguide antenna for collision-avoidance radar," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 1, 34-40, 2000.
10. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Peter Pereguins Ltd., New York, 1985.
11. Kasturi, S., "Wideband characteristics of Vivaldi antenna arrays,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2007.
12. Andrenko, A. S., I. V. Ivanchenko, D. I. Ivanchenko, S. Y. Karelin, A. M. Korolev, E. P. Laz'ko, and N. A. Popenko, "Active broad X-band circular patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 529-533, 2006.
13. Tran, D. P., M. Hajian, M. Tian, and L. P. Ligthart, "The E-plane stepped microstrip-like antenna," Ninth International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, (Conference Publication No. 407), Vol. 1, 513-516, 1997.