A novel Quasi-Yagi antenna with low radar cross section (RCS) is proposed in this paper. By using arrow-shaped Koch dipoles as the driver and director and cutting the ground of the antenna, the RCS can be reduced in the operating band of 5 GHz-8 GHz when the incident wave is perpendicular to the antenna plane. Wideband radar absorbing material (WRAM) with frequency selective surface (FSS) is devised to replace the metallic reflect plate of the antenna to reduce the RCS in the maximum radiation direction. The average RCS reduction of the antenna in the frequency band of 3 GHz-12 GHz is 8.0 dB. The simulated and measured results show that there is a considerable RCS reduction of the Quasi-Yagi antenna with WRAM, and the radiation performance is preserved at the same time.
2. Mao, J.-Y., Z.-R. Li, Q.-X. Guo, H. Zhang, X. Q. Zhang, and X. F. Wu, "A wideband Quasi-Yagi antenna with arrow-shaped dipoles for digital TV band applications," Joumal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 13, 1716-1723, Sep. 2012.
3. Teisbæk, H. B. and K. B. Jakobsen, "Koch-fractal Yagi-Uda antenna," Joumal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 149-160, 2009.
4. Wang, W.-T., S.-X. Gong, X. Wang, H.-W. Yuan, and J. Ling, "RCS reduction of array antenna by using bandstop FSS reflector," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1505-1514, 2009.
5. Monni, S., G. Gerini, and A. Neto, "Frequency selective surfaces for the RCS reduction of low frequency antennas," First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2006, 1-6, 2006.
6. Zhang, C.-F., W. Tang, X.-L. Mi, and L.-R. Chen, "Application of radar absorbing material in design of metal space frame radomes," Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference (CSQRWC), Vol. 1, 222-225, 2011.
7. Peixoto, G. G., A. L. de Paula, L. A. Andrade, C. M. A. Lopes, and M. C. Rezende, "Radar absorbing material (RAM) and shaping on radar cross section reduction of dihedral corners," 2005 SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Microwave and Optoelectronics, 460-463, 2005.
8. Wasif Niaz, M., R. A. Bhatti, and I. Majid, "Design of broadband electromagnetic absorber using resistive Minkowski loops," International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences & Technology (IBCAST), 424-428, 2013.
9. Chen, Q., J. J. Jiang, X. X. Xu, Y. He, L. Chen, B. Sun, S. W. Bie, L. Miao, and L. Zhang, "Thin and broadband electromagnetic absorber design using resistors and capacitors loaded frequency selective surface," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 16, 2102-2111, 2012.
10. Ye, C.-F. and E.-P. Li, "Finite difference time domain simulation for multi-layer microwave absorber with frequency selective surface," 2002 3rd International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 417-419, 2002.
11. Cui, G., Y. Liu, and S. Gong, "A novel fractal patch antenna with low RCS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2403-2411, 2007.
12. Liu, Y., S.-X. Gong, and D.-M. Fu, "The use of fractal in antenna RCS reduction," Journal of Microwaves, Vol. 19, No. 2, Jun. 2003.