The substrate integrated non-radiative dielectric (SINRD) guide presents a rather complicated process of design and implementation because of multiple interrelated design parameters involved in the definition of structures. In this work, the size of SINRD guide is halved by using a perfect electrical conductor (PEC) image plane. Consequently, the number of modes in the resulting image SINRD (iSINRD) guide is equally reduced since all even modes including the LSE10 mode are suppressed. Furthermore, a simple yet accurate design method is proposed that takes into account many parameters involved in the design of an SINRD guide, especially dimensions of perforation and dispersion effects. Three iSINRD prototypes are fabricated to test the proposed method over the W-band frequency range. Two of the prototypes are based on Alumina substrate with different perforation profiles, and both exhibit insertion loss around 1 dB while the return loss is around 16 dB. The third is based on RO6002 substrate and exhibits an insertion loss of around 3 dB and a return loss of around 14 dB. To test the leakage loss caused by periodic gaps in the PEC wall, two iSINRD lines with one and three gaps were fabricated. The insertion and return losses of the former case are respectively 1.2 dB and 17 dB compared to 2.5 dB and 18 dB of the latter case.
2. Koul, S. K., Millimeter Wave and Optical Dielectric Integrated Guides and Circuits, Chapter 6, J. Wiley & Sons, 1997.
3. Tischer, F. J., "A waveguide structure with low losses," Archive der Elektrischen Ubertragung, Vol. 7, 592-596, 1953.
4. Tischer, F. J., "H guide with laminated dielectric slab," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, No. 1, 9-15, 1970.
5. Cassivi, Y. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated nonradiative dielectric waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 3, 89-91, 2004.
6. Cassivi, Y. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated circuits concept applied to the nonradiative dielectric guide," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, 424-433, 2005.
7. Cassivi, Y., "Etude et development de la technologie hybride circuit planaire/guide NRD dans le contexte d’un emetteur/recepteur onde millimetrique,", Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, 2004.
8. Sugawara, Y., N. Nakaminami, N. Ishiii, and K. Itoh, "A proposal of image NRD waveguide and radiation from its end," Trans. IEICE B, Vol. J82-B, No. 4, 637-644, Apr. 1999 (in Japanese).
9. Menzel, W. and J. Al-Attari, "Suspended stripline filters integrated with standard multilayer printed circuit boards," German Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2009.
10. Attari, J., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Fast and accurate simulation of novel millimeter-wave circuits based on commercial software package," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 14, No. 2, 106-111, 2013.
11. ANSYS and Inc., "Ansys HFSS,", Cannonsburg, PA, 2011.
12. Schmid, U. and W. Menzel, "Planar antenna arrays using a feed network with nonradiative dielectric (NRD) waveguide," First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2006, 1-4, 2006.
13. Schmid, U., W. Menzel, Y. Cassivi, and K. Wu, "Dual polarization antenna fed by a dual mode substrate integrated NRD-guide," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 4348-4351, 2004.
14. Wong, M., A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Wideband Bezier curve shaped microstrip to H-guide transition," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 24, 1250-1252, 2009.
15. Li, D., Y. Cassivi, P. Yang, and K. Wu, "Analysis and design of bridged NRD-guide coupler for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2546-2551, 2005.
16. Attari, J., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "A compact 94 GHz image substrate integrated non-radiative dielectric (iSINRD) waveguide cruciform coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 23, No. 10, 533-535, 2013.
17. Attari, J., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Planar othogonal mode transducer based on orthogonal LSM10 and TE10 modal fields of co-layered image SINRD (iSINRD) and SIW guides," 43rd European Microwave Conference, 597-600, 2013.
18. Attari, J., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "A 94GHz planar orthogonal mode transducer," International Journal of Wireless and Microwave Technologies, 1-12, Apr. 2014.
19. Balanis, C. A., "Measurements of dielectric constants and loss tangents at E-band using a Fabry-Perot interferometer,", NASA Technical Note, No. NASA TN D-5583, 1969.
20. Bolivar, P. H., M. Brucherseifer, J. G. Rivas, R. Gonzalo, I. Ederra, A. L. Reynolds, M. Holker, and P. de Maagt, "Measurement of the dielectric constant and loss tangent of high dielectric-constant materials at terahertz frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1062-1066, 2003.
21. Afsar, M. N., "Dielectric measurements of millimeter-wave materials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, No. 12, 1598-1609, 1984.
22. Corporation, R., "Rogers corporation high frequency materials product selector guide,", Chandler, Arizona, 2011.
23. Patrovsky, A., "Hybrid integration of synthesized dielectric image waveguides in substrate integrated circuit technology and its millimeter wave applications,", Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, 2008.
24. Koul, S. K., Millimeter Wave and Optical Dielectric Integrated Guides and Circuits, John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
25. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated nonradiative dielectric waveguide structures directly fabricated on printed circuit boards and metallized dielectric layers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 12, 3076-3086, 2011.
26. Moldovan, E., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "W-band multiport substrate-integrated waveguide circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 2, 625-632, 2006.
27. Khatib, B. Y. E., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Substrate-integrated waveguide vertical interconnects for 3-D integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 9, 1526, Sep. 2012.
28. Doghri, A., A. Ghiotto, T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Compact and low cost substrate integrated waveguide cavity andbandpass filter using surface mount shorting stubs," International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1-3, 2012.
29. Djerafi, T., "Etude et realisation dematrices a commutation de faisceaux en technologie guide d’onde integree aux substrats,", Ph.D. dissertation, Ecole Polytechnique de Montr´eal, Montreal, Canada, 2011.