A simple and effective method of bandwidth enhancement for the printed meander line antenna (MLA) is proposed. This approach is characterized by symmetrically printing two meandering sections on both sides of a dielectric substrate and connecting them via shorting pins at the bottom of meandering sections, which are connected to a capacitive stripe for impedance matching. The illustrative equivalent circuit and the corresponding principle of bandwidth enhancement of this double-layered MLA are presented. The measured results of these double-layered and single-layered MLAs manifest the validity of our design approach.
2. Jungsuek, O. and K. Sarabandi, "Ultra-wideband, miniaturized, low profile, omnidirectional antenna using a novel reactive loading approach," 2012 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
3. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, Y.-J. Yang, and J.-F. Liu, "A compact folded printed dipole antenna for UHF RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 47-54, 2009.
4. Sufyar, S. and C. Delaveaud, "A miniaturization technique of a compact omnidirectional antenna," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, 373, 2009.
5. Zhang, F.-F., B.-H. Sun, X. Li, W. Wang, and J.-Y. Xue, "Design and investigation of broadband monopole antenna loaded with non-foster circuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 17, 245-255, 2010.
6. Wu, K.-L., G.-Y. Chen, J.-S. Sun, and Y. D. Chen, "Meander line antenna for GPS phone operation," PIERS Proceedings, 1820-1822, Xi'an, China, Mar. 22-26, 2010.
7. Gong, J.-G., Y.-C. Jiao, Q. Li, J. Wang, and G. Zhao, "A miniaturized internal wideband antenna for wireless USB dongle application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 67-74, 2010.
8. Rashed, J. and C. T. Tai, "A new class of resonant antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1428-1430, 1991.
9. Godara, L. C., Handbook of Antenna in Wireless Communication, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2002.
10. Jahanbakhshi, A., G. R. Moradi, and R. S. Shirazi, "Design and simulation of different types of meander line antennas with improved efficiency," PIERS Proceedings, 594-597, Moscow, Russia, Aug. 19-23, 2012.
11. Endo, T., Y. Sunahara, S. Satoh, and T. Katagi, "Resonant frequency and radiation efficiency of meander line antennas," Electronics and Communications in Japan (Part II: Electronics), Vol. 83, No. 1, 52-58, 2000.
12. Warnagiris, T. J. and T. J. Minardo, "Performance of a meandered line as an electrically small transmitting antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 12, 1797-1801, 1998.
13. Hu, Z., P. H. Cole, and L. Zhang, "A method for calculating the resonant frequency of meander-ine dipole antenna," 4th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2009, ICIEA 2009, 1783-1786, 2009.
14. Ju, D. K., T. H. Oh, J. M. Woo, and S. Y. Hon, "Double rectangular meander line loop monopole antenna for miniaturisation and bandwidth," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 16, 846-848, 2007.
15. Jung, J., H. Lee, and Y. Lim, "Modified meander line monopole antenna for broadband operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 22, 2007.
16. Noguchi, K., M. Mizusawa, T. Yamaguchi, and Y. Okumura, "Increasing the bandwidth of a meander line antenna consisting of two strips," IEEE 1997 Digest Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2198-2201, 1997.
17. Elsherbeni, A. Z., C. W. P. Huang, and C. E. Smith, "Wide band meander line antenna for wireless communication systems," 2000 IEEE-APS Conference on Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communications, 17-20, 2000.
18. Rodenbeck, C. T., "Planar miniature RFID antennas suitable for integration with batteries," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3700-3706, 2006.
19. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the properties of electrically small self-resonant wire antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 46, No. 6, 9-22, 2004.
20. Best, S. R., "A discussion on the quality factor of impedance matched electrically small wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 502-508, 2005.