In this paper, a novel and compact dual-band filter with enhanced upper stop characteristics has been presented. Dual band pass filter characteristics are achieved by introducing transmission zero (TZ) in pass band of band pass filter (BPF). The wide band pass filter (BPF) is implemented by combining low pass filter characteristics (i.e. stepped impedance resonator) and high pass filter characteristics (i.e. short stubs). Closed rectangular ring resonator (CRRR) and open loop rectangular ring (OLRR) combination is used to produce two transmission zeros (TZs). One TZ is placed on the pass band of BPF such that resultant filter characteristic consists of two pass bands. However, the second TZ is placed at edge of the pass band in BPF to improve skirt selectivity. The two pass bands are designed to cover two popular wireless bands namely WiMAX (center frequency f1 (3.5 GHz) and WLAN (center frequency f2 (5.7 GHz)) bands i.e. 3.35-3.65 GHz and 5.5-5.85 GHz respectively. Equi-ripple low pass stepped impedance resonator (SIR) filter response is responsible for improved and spurious free upper stop band (>20 GHz i.e. >6f1) and also provides sharp skirt attenuation at upper stop band. The proposed filter is implemented on an RT/Duroid 5880 (εr=2.2) substrate with thickness of 0.785 mm and surface area of 19 × 12 sq. mm. Good agreement between simulated and measured results ensures that the proposed filter is a suitable candidate for modern dual band communications.
2. Xu, J. and W. Wu, "Compact microstrip dual-band band-pass filter using stubs loaded coupled line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 137-150, 2013.
3. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-166, 2008.
4. Mondal, P. and M. K. Mandal, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded open-loop resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 150-155, Jan. 2008.
5. Liang, F., B. Luo, W. Lu, and X. Wang, "A compact dual-band filter with close passbands using asymmetric λ/4 resonator pairs with shared via-hole ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1289-1296, 2011.
6. Chen, C.-Y. and C.-C. Lin, "The design and fabrication of a highly compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 299-307, 2011.
7. Chen, F.-C. and J.-M. Qiu, "Dual-band bandpass filter with controllable characteristics using stub-loaded resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 45-51, 2012.
8. Chang, W.-S. and C.-Y. Chang, "Analytical design of microstrip short-circuit terminated stepped-impedance resonator dual-band filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 7, 1730-1739, Jul. 2011.
9. Wang, J. P., B.-Z. Wang, Y. X. Wang, and Y.-X. Guo, "Dual-band microstrip stepped-impedance bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 463-470, 2008.
10. Guan, X., Z. Ma, P. Cai, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, "Synthesis of dual-band bandpass filters using successive frequency transformations and circuit conversions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 3, 110-112, Mar. 2006.
11. Ha, J., S. Lee, B.-W. Min, and Y. Lee, "Application of stepped-impedance technique for bandwidth control of dual-band filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 7, 2106-2114, Jul. 2012.
12. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., M. M. Fahmi, and R. R. Mansour, "Triple-conductor combline resonators for dual-band filters with enhanced guard-band selectivity," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 12, 3969-3979, Dec. 2012.
13. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Compact dual-band microstrip bandpass filter without external feeds," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 644-646, Oct. 2005.
14. Gorur, A. K. and C. Karpuz, "A novel perturbation arrangement for dual-mode resonators and its dual-band bandpass filter applications," Proceedings of the 41st European Microwave Conference, 468-471, 2011.
15. Kuo, J.-T. and S.-W. Lai, "New dual-band bandpass filter with wide upper rejection band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 371-384, 2012.
16. Wang, J., H. S. Ning, Q. X. Xiong, M. Q. Li, and L. F. Mao, "A novel miniaturized dual-band bandstop filter using dual-plane defected structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 397-417, 2013.
17. Deng, K., S. Yang, S. J. Sun, B. Wu, and X. W. Shi, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on square loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 119-130, 2013.
18. Mashhadi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of dual-band band-pass filter with wide upper stopband using SIR and GSIR structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 221-232, 2012.
19. Kuo, J.-T. and H.-P. Lin, "Dual-band band-pass filter with improved performance in extended upper rejection band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 4, 824-829, Apr. 2009.
20. Fooks, E. H. and R. A. Zakareviius, Microwave Engineering Using Microstrip Circuits, Prentice Hall, 1990.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998.