One of the most important aspects for body centric communication is the development of the textile antenna for on-body communication. Antennas for on-body environment usually suffer performance degradation caused by the human body. Apart from that, textile antenna gets easily bent, flexed, wrinkled or wet. This paper presents an investigation on three different designs and types of planar antennas, which are single band textile dipole antenna, fractal Koch multiband dipole antenna and monopole ultra wide band antennas. The performance of the antennas has been evaluated in terms of bending, wetness condition and on-body simulation. The results show that the bending effect is not critical in free space for the planar antennas, but the performance is notably degraded under wet condition while the antenna reflection coefficient is shifted when placed on the human body.
2. Salman, S., Z. Wang, E. Colebeck, A. Kiourti, E. Topsakal, and J. L. Volakis, "Pulmonary edema monitoring sensor with integrated body-area network for remote medical sensing," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2787-2794, May 2014.
3. Hall, P. S. and Y. Hao, "Antennas and propagation for body centric communications," First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2006, 1-7, Nov. 6-10, 2006.
4. Alam, M. M. and E. B. Hamida, "Surveying wearable human assistive technology for life and safety critical applications: Standards, challenges and opportunities ," Sensors, Vol. 14, No. 5, 9153, (14248220), 2014.
5. Noury, N., A. Dittmar, C. Corroy, R. Baghai, J. L. Weber, D. Blanc, F. Klefstat, A. Blinovska, S. Vaysse, and B. Comet, "VTAMN --- A smart clothe for ambulatory remote monitoring of physiological parameters and activity," 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, IEMBS’04, Vol. 2, 3266-3269, Sep. 1-5, 2004.
6. Bourdon, L., S. Coli, G. Loriga, N. Taccini, B. Gros, A. Gemignani, D. Cianflone, F. Chapotot, A. Dittmar, and R. Paradiso, "First results with the wealthy garment electrocardiogram monitoring system," Computers in Cardiology, 615-618, Sep. 25-28, 2005.
7. Schmitt, F. A., P. M. Gehin, C. Delhomme, G. McAdams, and E. Dittmar, "Flexible technologies and smart clothing for citizen medicine, home healthcare, and disease prevention," IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 9, No. 3, 325-336, Sep. 2005.
8. Mokhlespour, M., I. Zobeiri, O. Narimani, R. Hoviattalab, M. Moshiri, and B. Parnianpour, "Design and prototyping of wearable measuring system for trunk movement using textile sensors," 2012 20th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1571-1575, May 15-17, 2012.
9. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 117-337, 2011.
10. Jalil, M. E., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, N. A. Murad, N. Othman, and H. A. Majid, "On-body investigation of dual band diamond textile antenna for wearable applications at 2.45GHz and 5.8 GHz," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 414-417, Apr. 8-12, 2013.
11. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. Abd Rahim, M. Azfar Abdullah, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
12. Boyes, S. J., P. J. Soh, Y. Huang, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and N. Khiabani, "Measurement and performance of textile antenna efficiency on a human body in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 2, 871-881, Feb. 2013.
13. Hertleer, C., H. Rogier, L. Vallozzi, and L. Van Langenhove, "A textile antenna for off-body communication integrated into protective clothing for firefighters," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 919-925, Apr. 2009.
14. Samal, P. B., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "UWB all-textile antenna with full ground plane for off-body WBAN communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 102-108, Jan. 2014.
15. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and M. R. N. Husna, "Wearable dual-band Sierpinski fractal PIFA using conductive fabric," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 6, 365-367, Mar. 17, 2011.
16. Vallozzi, L., H. Rogier, and C. Hertleer, "Dual polarized textile patch antenna for integration into protective garments ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 440-443, 2008.
17. Hertleer, C., A. Van Laere, H. Rogier, and L. Van Langenhove, "Influence of relative humidity on textile antenna performance," Textile Research Journal, Vol. 80, 177-183, Jan. 2010, First Published on September 18, 2009.
18. Jalil, M. E. B., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, N. A. Murad, H. A. Majid, K. Kamardin, and M. Azfar Abdullah, "Fractal koch multiband textile antenna performance with bending, wet conditions and on the human body," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 633-652, 2013.
19. Jalil, M. E., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, M. A. Abdullah, and K. Kamardin, "Wetness experiment for compact CPW-fed ultra wideband antenna using textile material," 2012 IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics (APACE), 298-301, Dec. 11-13, 2012.
20. Jais, M. I., M. F. B. Jamlos, M. Jusoh, T. Sabapathy, M. R. Kamarudin, R. B. Ahmad, A. A. A.-H. Azremi, E. I. Bin Azmi, P. J. Soh, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and N. L. K. Ishak, "A novel 2.45GHz switchable beam textile antenna (SBTA) for outdoor wireless body area network (WBAN) applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 613-627, 2013.
21. Sankaralingam, S. and B. Gupta, "Development of textile antennas for body wearable applications and investigations on their performance under bent conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 53-71, 2010.
22. Soh, P. J., S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi, "On-body characterization of dual-band all-textile Pifa," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
23. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, M. K. Elbasheer, and M. E. Ali, "Textile UWB antenna bending and wet performances," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 251682, 12 Pages, 2012.
24. Soh, P. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and J. Higuera-Oro, "Design and evaluation of flexible CPW-fed ultra wide band (UWB) textile antennas," RFM 2011, Malaysia, 2011.