In this paper, a new wire inverted-F antenna (IFA) is proposed, which is structured by grids of thin wires. This novel wire grid IFA is ~0.3λ long and ~0.14λ high and renders 41% fractional bandwidth which is nearly 5 times higher than the bandwidth of a classic IFA. In addition to the novel structure and high bandwidth, the distinguishing feature of the design process employed is its computational efficiency. While the constituent wires of the wire grid (WG) model are one-dimensional (1D) thin wires, they can indirectly form very thick arms leading to bandwidth enhancement. The thin-wire structure of the WG-IFA provides the opportunity to carry out the analysis and design accurately and fast in a 1D MoM-based software like NEC.
2. AbuTarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, T. Peter, and S. W. Cheung, "Multiband inverted-F antenna with independent bands for small and slim cellular mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2636-2645, Jul. 2011.
3. Fujimoto, K. and J. R. James, Mobile Antenna Systems Handbook, 160, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1994.
4. Cho, Y. J., Y. S. Shin, and S. O. Park, "Internal PIFA for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 1, Jan. 2006.
5. Liu, W. N., J. K. Xiao, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "A novel PBG planar inverted-F antenna for wearable system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 615-622, 2006.
6. Sim, C. Y. D., "A novel dual frequency PIFA design for ease of manufacturing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 409-419, 2007.
7. Li, Z. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Optimization of PIFA-IFA combination in handset antenna designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1770-1778, May 2005.
8. Boyle, K. R. and P. G. Steeneken, "A five-band reconfigurable PIFA for mobile phones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3300-3309, Nov. 2007.
9. Chattha, H. T., Y. Huang, and Y. Lu, "PIFA bandwidth enhancement by changing the widths of feed and shorting plates," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 637-640, 2009.
10. Chattha, H. T., Y. Huang, M. K. Ishfaq, and S. J. Boyes, "Bandwidth enhancement techniques for planar inverted-F antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 15, 1872-1879, Dec. 2011.
11. Garcia Zuazola, I. J., J. C. Batchelor, J. M. H. Elmirghani, and N. J. Gomes, "UWB PIFA for simplified transceivers," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 2, 116-118, Jan. 2010.
12. Koshiji, F., Y. Akiyama, and K. Koshiji, "UWB antenna built into 3G smartphones," IEEE Inter. Conf. on Ultra-Wideband, 91-96, Sydney, Australia, Sep. 2013.
13. Hisamatsu, N., et al., "Realization of dual-frequency and wide-band VSWR performances using normal-mode helical and inverted-F antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 6, 788-793, Jun. 1998.
14. Zhao, Y., Y. Hao, and C. G. Parini, "Radiation properties of PIFA on electromagnetic bandgap substrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, No. 1, 21-24, Jan. 2005.
15. Rasinger, J., A. L. Scholtz, W. Picher, and E. Bonek, "A new enhanced-bandwidth interval antenna for portable communication systems," Proc. 40th IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., 7-12, Orlando, FL, May 1990.
16. Mayhan, J. T., "Characteristic modes and wire grid modeling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 4, 457-469, Apr. 1990.
17. Ludwig, A. C., "Wire grid modeling of surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, No. 9, 1045-1048, 1987.
18. Paknys, R. J., "The near field of a wire grid model," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 7, 994-999, 1991.
19. Matsui, A., T. Okubo, and Y. Fukase, "Radiation properties of tapered slot antenna constructed with wire grid mesh," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Intern. Symp., 2579-2582, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, Jul. 2006.
20. Porcino, D. and W. Hirt, "Ultra wideband technology: Potential and challenges ahead," IEEE Comm. Mag., Vol. 41, No. 7, 66-74, Jul. 2003.
21. NEC-WIN Pro. User's Manual, Antenna Analysis Software Version 1.1, , 1997.
22. Hosseini, M. and R. Fallahi, "Design of a wideband panel sleeve dipole antenna for FM broadcasting applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Intern. Symp., 4683-4686, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, Jul. 2006.
23. Gharavi-Alkhansari, M., "A fast globally optimal algorithm for template matching using low-resolution pruning," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 526-533, Apr. 2001.
24. Moore, J. and R. Pizer, Moment Methods in Electromagnetics, Research Studies Press, 1984.