A planar monopole loaded with composite right/left-handed transmission line (CRLH-TL) for broadband LTE mobile phone is presented. The CRLH-TL with a propagation constant of zero is added to widen the input impedance bandwidth of the antenna. The proposed antenna covers the LTE700/2500/GSM850/900/1800/1900/UMTS2100 and WLAN2400 bands. Impedance bandwidths of VSWR<2.5 (S11<-7 dB) ranging from 675 to 1010 MHz and 1690 to 2550 MHz are obtained. The size of the monopole is 60×16×1mm3 which is smaller than most of the LTE antennas. Detailed design considerations of the monopole are described. A prototype is fabricated and tested. Both simulated and experimental results are discussed.
2. Zhang, T., R. L. Li, G. P. Jin, and G. Wei, "A novel multiband planar antenna for GSM/UMTS/LTE/Zigbee/RFID mobile devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4209-4214, 2011.
3. Lee, , C.-T. and K.-L. Wong, "Planar monopole with a coupling feed and an inductive shorting strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS operation in the mobile phone," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2479-2483, 2010.
4. Chu, F.-H. and K.-L. Wong, "Internal coupled-fed dual-loop antenna integrated with a USB connector for WWAN/LTE mobile handset," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4215-4221, 2011.
5. Olaode, O. O., W. D. Palmer, and W. T. Joines, "Characterization of meander dipole antennas with a geometry-based, frequency-independent lumped element model," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 346-349, 2012.
6. Liao, Y., T. H. Hubing, and D. Su, "Equivalent circuit with frequency-independent lumped elements for coated wire antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 11, 5419-5423, 2012.
7. Gou, Y., Q. Wu, and J. Hua, "Design of a bandwidth extended and compact microstrip antenna based on CRLH-TL with slot loaded," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1762-1765, 2011.
8. Ban, Y.-L., J.-H. Chen, S. Yang, J. L.-W. Li, and Y.-J. Wu, "Low-profile printed octa-band LTE/WWAN mobile phone antenna using embedded parallel resonant structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 7, 3889-3894, 2013.
9. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A MNG-TL loop antenna array with horizontally polarized omni-directional patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2702-2710, 2012.
10. Segovia-Vargas, D., F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, E. Ugarte-Munoz, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Quad-frequency linearly-polarized and dual-frequency circularly-polarized microstrip patch antennas with CRLH loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 91-115, 2013.
11. Sheeja, K. L. and P. K. Sahu, "Comparative study of a CRLH-TL based zeroth order resonant antenna," 2012 National Conference on Communications (NCC), 1-5, 2012.
12. Park, J.-H., Y.-H. Ryu, and J.-J. Li, "Mu-zero resonance antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1865-1875, Jun. 2010.
13. Dong, J., Y.-C. Jiao, Z.-B. Weng, Q. Qiu, and Y. Chen, "A coupled-fed antenna for 4G mobile handset," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 727-737, 2013.
14. Deng, S.-M., C.-L. Tsai, J.-P. Gu, K.-K. Tiong, and K.-W. Liu, "A novel design of LTE smart mobile antenna with multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 109-124, 2013.
15. Chang, S.-H. and W.-J. Liao, "A broadband LTE/WWAN antenna design for tablet PC," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 9, 4354-4359, 2012.
16. Niu, B.-J. and Q.-Y. Feng, "Bandwidth enhancement of asymmetric coplanar waveguide (ACPW)-fed antenna based on composite right/left-handed transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 563-565, 2013.