In this paper two novel coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed printed ultra wide band (UWB) monopole antennas with dual band-notching characteristics are proposed. The modified ground technique with symmetric ground plane in antenna-1 and asymmetric ground planes in antenna-2 is exploited to cover UWB application. Both antennas are compact with dimensions of 30 x 30 x 1.6 mm3 and have dual band-notched characteristics with first notched band for integrated band of WiMax 3.5/5.5 GHz and C-band satellite communications 3.7-4.2 GHz, and second notched band for WLAN 5.2/5.8 GHz bands. Antenna with symmetric ground plane achieves the impedance bandwidth of 2.9-11.5 GHz, and antenna with asymmetric ground plane achieves the impedance bandwidth of 2.9-11.89 GHz, respectively with VSWR < 2 except in the notched bands. The antennas are designed and optimised in CST Microwave Studio. The simulated VSWR of the proposed antenna designs is compared with the measured VSWR of fabricated antennas, and it is found that they are in a good agreement. Both antennas exhibit monopole-like radiation patterns with significant gain in entire operating band. Maximum gain of the proposed antenna with symmetric ground plane is 5.3 dBi at 8 GHz, and that with asymmetric ground plane is 4.5 dBi at 7 GHz.
2. Ren, Y.-J. and C. Kai, "An annual ring antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, No. 1, 274-276, 2006.
3. Chen, M. E. and J. H. Wang, "CPW-fed crescent patch antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 10, 613-614, 2008.
4. Choi, S. T., K. Hamaguchi, and R. Kohno, "Small printed CPW-fed triangular monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 1180-1182, 2009.
5. Liu, H.-W. and C.-F. Yang, "Miniature hook-shaped monopole antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 4, 265-266, 2010.
6. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
7. Koohestani, M. and M. Golpour, "Compact rectangular slot antenna with a novel coplanar waveguide fed diamond patch for ultra wideband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 1, 331-334, 2010.
8. Ojaroudi, M., S. Yazdanifard, N. Ojaroudi, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Band-notched small square-ring antenna with a pair of T-shaped strips protruded inside the square ring for UWB applications," Antennas Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 10, 227-230, 2011.
9. Kim, Y. and D.-H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004.
10. Tu, S., Y. C. Jiao, Y. Song, and Z. Zhang, "A novel miniature strip-line fed antenna with band-notched function for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 29-38, 2009.
11. Chung, K., S. Hong, and J. Choi, "Ultra wide-band printed monopole antenna with band-notch filters," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 1, No. 2, 518-522, 2007.
12. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 783-785, 2005.
13. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection ¯lter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
14. Zhu, Y., F. S. Zhang, C. Lin, Q. Zhang, and J. X. Huang, "A novel dual band-notched monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 109-117, 2010.
15. Kalteh, A.-A., R. Fallahi, and M. G. Roozbahani, "Design of a band-notched microstrip circular slot antenna for UWB communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 113-123, 2010.
16. Tilanthe, P., P. C. Sharma, and T. K. Bandopadhyay, "A compact UWB antenna with dual band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 389-405, 2011.
17. Fallahi, R., A.-A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
18. Liu, W. X. and Y. Z. Yin, "Dual band-notched antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 21-30, 2011.
19. Zhou, D., S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wide-band antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012.
20. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
21. Zhu, Y., F. S. Zhang, C. Lin, Q. Zhang, and J. X. Huang, "A novel dual band-notched monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 109-117, 2010.
22. Sharma, M. M., J. K. Deegwal, A. Kumar, and M. C. Govil, "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with quadruple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 29-36, 2014.
23. Sadeghzadeh, R. A., M. A. Honarvar, and A. R. Eskandari, "Coplanar-fed UWB elliptical patch antenna with notched band characteristics," PIERS Proceedings, 1225-1228, Xian, China, Mar. 22-26, 2010.
24. Ghatak, R., B. Biswas, A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "A circular fractal UWB antenna based on descartes circle theorem with band rejection capability," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 37, 235-248, 2013.
25. Zhang, X., T.-L. Zhang, Y.-Y. Xia, Z.-H. Yan, and X.-M. Wang, "Planar monopole antenna with band-notched characterization for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 149-156, 2009.
26. Emadian, S. R., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, M. Mirmozafari, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed circle-like slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE ntennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 11, 543-546, 2012.
27. Azarmanesh, M., S. Soltani, and P. Lotfi, "Design of an ultra-wideband monopole antenna with WiMAX, C and wireless local area network band notches," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, 728-733, 2011, doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0148.
28. Liu, H. and Z. Xu, "Design of UWB monopole antenna with dual notched bands using one modified electromagnetic-band-gap structure," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, 917965-9, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/917965.
29. Abdelhalim, C. and D. Farid, "A compact planar UWB antenna with triple controllable band-notched characteristics," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 848062-10, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/848062.
30. Zhang, C., J. Zhang, and L. Li, "Triple band-notched UWB antenna based SIR-DGS and fork-shaped stubs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 67-69, 2014.