This paper describes the concept, design, and measurement of a multi-band circularly polarized printed slot antenna with a single microstrip feed line. The antenna design for circular polarization (CP) at 1.5 GHz for GPS, 2.4 GHz for Bluetooth, and 3.75 GHz for WiMAX application is given. The proposed antenna also provides a fourth linear polarized band over 5.2 to 6 GHz covering the WLAN band. The design is such that all three CP bands can be tuned for any other desired frequencies. Three configurations of the proposed antenna with different design parameters for different circularly polarized bands are reported in the paper. A prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated, and measured results are compared with those of the simulations.
2. Caso, R., A. Buffo M. R. Pino, P. Nepa, and G. Manara, "A novel dual-feed slot-coupling feeding technique for circularly polarized patch arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 183-186, 2010.
3. Zhou, Y., C. Chen, and J. Volakis, "Dual band proximity-fed stacked patch for tri-band GPS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, 220-223, Jan. 2007.
4. Liao, W., Q. X. Chu, and S. Du, "Tri-band circularly polarized stacked microstrip antenna for GPS and CNSS application," Proc. ICMMT, 252-255, 2010.
5. Qian, K. and X. H. Tang, "Compact LTCC dual-band circularly polarized perturbed hexagonal microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1212-1215, 2011.
6. Shekhawat, S., P. Sekra, D. Bhatnagar, V. K. Saxena, and J. S. Saini, "Stacked arrangement of rectangular microstrip patches for circularly polarized broadband performance," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 910-913, 2010.
7. Li, G., H. Zhai, T. Li, L. Li, and C. Liang, "A compact antenna with broad bandwidth and quad-sense circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 791-794, 2012.
8. Wu, J.-W., J.-Y. Ke, C. F. Jou, and C.-J. Wang, "Microstrip-fed broadband circularly polarised monopole antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 518-525, Apr. 2010.
9. Wong, K. L., C. C. Huang, and W. S. Chen, "Printed ring slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 75-77, Jan. 2002.
10. Bao, X. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency dual-sense circularly-polarized slot antenna fed by microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 645-649, Mar. 2008.
11. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen and X. Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3821-3828, Dec. 2010.
12. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, Jun. 2009.
13. Balanis, C., Antenna Theory, Analysis, and Design, Wiley, 1997.