In this paper, initially a Planar Inverted Cone Metal Antenna (PICMA) is optimized for wideband wireless communication. Finally, a compact Shorted Planar Inverted Cone Metal Antenna (SPICMA) is developed by introducing a shorting strip on the radiating element of optimized PICMA. The PICMA is optimized to operate from 1.7 GHz to more than 20 GHz, and the SPICMA is optimized to extend the operating band from 1.05 GHz to more than 20 GHz resulting in size reduction of 38%. The proposed antenna yields bidirectional radiation pattern in E and H planes. Various characteristics of the antenna have been analyzed using Finite Integration Technique (FIT) based commercial software CST studio. The measured reflection coefficient agrees with the simulated result for the optimized SPICMA.
2. Ghosh, S., "Design of planar crossed monopole antenna for ultrawide-band communication," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 548-551, 2011.
3. Lamultree, S. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Bidirectional ultra-wideband antenna using rectangular ring fed by stepped monopole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, No. 242, 227, 2008.
4. Agarwall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
5. Lee, E., P. S. Hall, and P. Gardner, "Compact wideband planar monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 25, 2157-2158, 1999.
6. Ray, K. P., P. V. Anob, R. Kapur, and G. Kumar, "Broadband planar rectangular monopole antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 1, 55-59, 2001.
7. Hallbjorner, P., C. Shi, A. Rydberg, and K. Karlsson, "Modified planar inverted cone antenna for mobile communication handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 472-475, 2007.
8. Shi, C., P. Hallbjorner, and A. Rydberg, "Printed slot planar inverted cone antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 18-21, 2008.
9. Suh, S.-Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1364, 2004.
10. Li, T., Y. Rao, and Z. Niu, "Analysis and design of UWB Vivaldi antenna," International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, 579-581, 2007.
11. Yeo, J., Y. Lee, and R. Mittra, "Design of a wideband planar volcano-smoke slot antenna (PVSA) for wireless communications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 2, 655-658, 2003.
12. Mondal, S. and P. P. Sarkar, "A novel design of compact wideband hexagonal antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 1-4, 2013.
13. Mondal, S. and P. P. Sarkar, "Design of an extremely wideband planar elliptical metal antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 1, 1508-1511, 2013.
14., CST Microwave Studio Manual, Ver. 10, Computer Simulation Technology, Framingham, MA, 2010.
15. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd Ed., Wiley Interscience, 2006.