A compact dual-band MIMO antenna with high port isolation for WLAN applications is proposed. The proposed antenna is basically composed of two monopoles and designed at 2.4/5.2 GHz. High port isolation is achieved by introducing a T-shaped junction on the top surface of the substrate and etching two slots on the ground. The measured bandwidth of the proposed antenna are 2.34-2.55 GHz and 5.13-5.85 GHz, which are suitable for WLAN applications, and the measured isolation between the two monopoles is higher than 20 dB in both bands. Meanwhile, the envelope correlation coefficient of the antenna at both operating bands is lower than 0.001, which means that the antenna has high diversity gain. Good agreement is achieved between the predicted result and the measured data. The overall size of the proposed antenna is 38 mm×43 mm×1.6 mm.
2. Ozdemir, M. and E. Arvas, "Dynamics of spatial correlation and implications on MIMO systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 6, S14-S19, 2004.
3. Wang, Y. and Z. W. Du, "A wideband printed dual-antenna system with a novel neutralization line for mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1428-1431, Jun. 2013.
4. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, and R. D. Murch, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007.
5. Weber, J., C. Volmer, K. Blau, R. Stephan, and M. A. Hein, "Miniaturized antenna arrays using decoupling networks with realistic elements," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2733-2740, Jun. 2006.
6. Zuo, S.-L., Y.-Z. Yin, Z.-Y. Zhang, W.-J. Wu, and J.-J. Xie, "Eigenmode decoupling for MIMO loop-antenna based on 180o coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 11-20, 2011.
7. Iluz, Z., R. Shavit, and R. Bauer, "Microstrip antenna phased array with electromagnetic bandgap substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1446-1453, Jun. 2004.
8. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
9. Park, S. and C. Jung, "Compact MIMO antenna with high isolation performance," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 6, 154-155, 2010.
10. Karaboikis, M., C. Soras, G. Tsachtsiris, and V. Makios, "Dual-frequency decoupling for two distinct antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1315-1318, Oct. 2013.
11. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
12. Zheng, W. C., L. Zhang, Q. X. Li, and Y. Leng, "Dual-band dual-polarized compact bowtie antenna array for anti-interference MIMO WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 237-246, 2014.
13. Cui, S., Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and S. X. Gong, "Compact dual-band monopole antennas with high port isolation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 10, 579-580, May 12, 2011.
14. Wong, K.-L. and C.-H. Huang, "Printed loop antenna with a perpendicular feed for penta-band mobile phone application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 7, 2138-2141, 2008.
15. Wang, L., C. Zhao, C. Li, and X. Lin, "Dual-band bandpass filter using stub-loaded resonators with multiple transmission zeros," 2010 9th International Symposium on Antennas Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 1208-1211, Guangzhou, China, Nov. 29-Dec. 2, 2010.
16. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Anderson, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-171, 1987.
17. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, May 2003.