This paper presents three dielectric resonator (DR) unit elements loaded with one, two, and three narrow slots underneath for designing reflectarrays. The slots are aligned in parallel, and the lengths are varied to function as phase shifter for changing reflection phase. It is found that the dominant TE mode of the square DR element can be easily excited by placing multiple parallel slots beneath a DR element. Study shows that the number and width of the slots can be used as additional design parameters for tuning the reflection loss and phase range of the reflectarray. Rectangular waveguide method has been deployed, showing reasonable agreement between simulation and measurement. It is found that a reasonable reflection phase range of 313° with slow slope is obtainable when the DRA is loaded with two slots beneath, which can be used for designing a small-size reflectarray. The reflection characteristics of the unit elements are studied, along with a complete parametric analysis.
2. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antenna, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, 2007.
3. Pozar, D. M., S. D. Targonski, and H. D. Syrigos, "Design of millimeter wave microstrip reflectarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 287-296, Feb. 1997.
4. Encinar, J. A., "Design of two-layer printed re°ectarrays using patches of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1403-1410, Oct. 2001.
5. Bialkowski, M. E. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Investigations into phase characteristics of a single-layer reflectarray employing patch or ring elements of variable size," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3366-3372, Nov. 2008.
6. Long, S. A., M. McAllister, and S. Liang, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, May 1983.
7. Petosa, A. and A. Ittipiboon, "Dielectric resonator antennas: A historical review and the current state of the art," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 91-116, Oct. 2010.
8. Abd-Elhady, M., S. H. Zainud-Deen, A. A. Mitkees, and A. A. Kishk, "Wideband rectangular dielectric resonator elements reflectarray," Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, Dec. 2012.
9. Zainud-Deen, S. H., S. M. Gaber, A. M. Abd-Elhady, K. H. Awadalla, and A. A. Kishk, "Wideband perforated rectangular dielectric resonator antenna reflectarray," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 113-116, Jul. 2011.
10. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. M. Abd-Elhady, A. A. Mitkees, and A. A. Kishk, "Dielectric resonator reflectarray with two DRA sizes and varying slot loading," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 2010.
11. Abd-Elhady, M., S. H. Zainud-Deen, A. A. Mitkees, and A. A. Kishk, "Slot-loading rectangular dielectric resonator elements reflectarray," Middle East Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-3, Oct. 2010.
12. Abd-Elhady, A. M., S. H. Zainud-Deen, A. A. Mitkees, and A. A. Kishk, "X-band linear polarized aperture-coupled DRA reflectarray," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1042-1044, May 2010.