Broadside coupling mechanism between different patch resonators is deployed for designing power dividers to provide bandpassing effect. To demonstrate, two sector-shaped patches are combined and concentrically stacked on top of a circular microstrip resonator where pairs of concentric arc-shaped slots and radial notches are etched to perturb the current distribution so that an additional pole can be obtained to broaden the operational bandwidth. The use of circular patch enables the expansion of output ports without increasing the design complexity. Also, it was found that broadside coupling generates transmission zeros which can be used to sharpen the rolloff skirt for a better selectivity. In this paper, the corresponding design theory and methodology are elucidated, together with the detailed parametric analysis.
2. Wolff, I. and N. Knoppik, "Rectangular and circular microstrip disk capacitors and resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 22, No. 10, 857-864, Oct. 1974.
3. Itoh, T. and R. Mittra, "A new method for calculating the capacitance of a circular disk for microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 22, No. 6, 431-432, Jun. 1973.
4. Long, S. A., L. C. Shen, and P. B. Morel, "Theory of the circular-disc printed-circuit antenna," Proc. IEE, Vol. 125, No. 10, 925-928, Oct. 1978.
5. Derneryd, A. G., "Analysis of the microstrip disk antenna element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., Vol. 27, No. 5, 660-664, Sep. 1979.
6. Gupta, K. C. and M. Abouzahra, "Analysis and design of four-port and five-port microstrip disc circuits," "IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1422-1428, Dec. 1985.
7. Abouzahra, M. D. and K. C. Gupta, "Multiple-port power divider/combiner circuits using circular microstrip disk configurations," EEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 12, 1296-1302, Dec. 1987.
8. Bonetti, R. R. and P. Tiss, "Analysis of planar disk networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 26, No. 7, 471-477, Jul. 1978.
9. Belohoubek, E., R. Brown, H. Johnson, A. Fathy, D. Bechtle, D. Kalokitis, and E. Mykietyn, "30-way radial power combiner for miniature GaAs FET power amplifiers," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 515-518, 1986.
10. Lin, F., Q. X. Chu, and S. W. Wong, "Design of dual-band filtering quadrature coupler using λ/2 and λ/4 resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 11, 565-567, Nov. 2012.
11. Llorente-Romano, S., A. Garcia-Lamperez, M. Salazar-Palma, A. I. Daganzo-Eusebiot, J. S. Galaz-Villasantet, and M. J. Padilla-Cruz, "Microstrip filter and power divider with improved out-of-band rejection for a Ku-band input multiplexer," 33rd European Microwave Conference, 315-318, 2003.
12. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "Ultra-wideband power dividers with good isolation and improved sharp roll-off skirt," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 8, 1157-1168, 2008.
13. Arriola, W. A., J. Y. Lee, and I. S. Kim, "Wideband 3 dB branch line coupler based on open circuited coupled lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 9, 486-488, Sep. 2011.
14. Deng, P. H. and L. C. Lai, "Unequal wilkinson power dividers with favorable selectivity and high-isolation using coupled-line filter transformers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1520-1529, Jun. 2012.
15. Shao, J. Y., S. C. Huang, and Y. H. Pang, "Wilkinson power divider incorporating quasi-elliptic filters for improved out-of-band rejection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 23, 1288-1289, Nov. 2011.
16. Zeng, H. Y., G. M. Wang, D. Z. Wei, and Y. W. Wang, "Planar diplexer using composite right-/left-handed transmission line under balanced condition," Electron. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 2, 104-106, Jan. 2012.
17. Zhang, R., L. Zhu, and S. Luo, "Dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter using a single slotted circular patch resonator," Microwav. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 5, 233-235, May 2012.
18. Serrano, A. L. C. and F. S. Correra, "A triple-mode bandpass filter using a modified circular patch resonator," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 178-182, Jan. 2009.