This paper proposes a novel design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier (DPA) with simplified offset-lines. The methodology is validated with the design and fabrication of a 10 W GaN based DPA for Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) and Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) applications at 0.90 GHz and 2.14 GHz, respectively. In the measurement results, the DPA achieves a drain efficiency (DE) of 51.2% with an output power of 37.2 dBm at the 6.5 dB output power back-off (OBO) from the saturated output power at 0.90 GHz, and a DE of 39.9% with an output power of 37.4 dBm at the 6.5 dB OBO at 2.14 GHz. Linearity results using 20 MHz 16QAM signal show an adjacent channel leakage ratio (ACLR) of -48 dBc and -43 dBc with the average output power of 37.2 dBm and 37 dBm at 0.90 GHz and 2.14 GHz, respectively.
2. Monzon, C., "A small dual-frequency transformer in two sections," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1157-1161, 2003.
3. Colantonio, P., F. Giannini, and L. Scucchia, "A new approach to design matching networks with distributed elements," 15th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, MIKON-2004, Vol. 3, 811-814, 2004.
4. Ji, S. H., C. S. Cho, J. W. Lee, and J. Kim, "Concurrent dualband class-E power amplifer using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1341-1347, 2007.
5. Chuang, , M. L., "Dual-band impedance transformer using two-section shunt stubs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1257-1263, 2010.
6. Doherty, W. H., "A new high efficiency power amplifier for modulated waves," Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 9, 1163-1182, 1936.
7. Yang, Y., J. Cha, B. Shin, and B. Kim, "A fully matched N-way Doherty amplifier with optimized linearity," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 3, 986-993, 2003.
8. Srirattana, N., A. Raghavan, D. Heo, P. E. Allen, and J. Laskar, "Analysis and design of a high-e±ciency multistage Doherty power amplifier for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 3, 852-860, 2005.
9. Wood, J., M. LeFevre, D. Runton, J. C. Nanan, B. H. Noori, and P. H. Aaen, "Envelope-domain time series (ET) behavioral model of a Doherty RF power amplifier for system design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 8, 3163-3172, 2006.
10. Li, X., W. Chen, Z. Zhang, Z. Feng, X. Tang, and K. Mouthaan, "A concurrent dual-band Doherty power amplifier," IEEE Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 654-657, 2010.
11. Colantonio, P., F. Feudo, F. Giannini, R. Giofre, and L. Piazzon, "Design of a dual-band GaN Doherty amplifier," 2010 18th International Conference on Microwave Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), 1-4, 2010.
12. Bassam, S. A., W. Chen, M. Helaoui, F. M. Ghannouchi, and Z. Feng, "Linearization of concurrent dual-band power amplifier based on 2D-DPD technique," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 12, 685-687, 2011.
13. Rawat, K. and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier with performance enhancement using dual-band offset lines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 12, 4831-4842, 2012.
14. Saad, P., P. Colantonio, L. Piazzon, F. Giannini, K. Andersson, and C. Fager, "Design of a concurrent dual-band 1.8-2.4-GHz GaN-HEMT Doherty power amplifier," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1840-1849, 2012.
15. Grebennikov, A. and J. Wong, "A dual-band parallel Doherty power amplifier for wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3214-3222, 2012.
16. Chen, W., S. Zhang, Y. Liu, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "A concurrent dual-band uneven Doherty power amplifier with frequency-dependent input power division," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 61, No. 2, 552-561, 2014.
17. Park, M. J. and B. Lee, "Wilkinson power divider with extended ports for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 15, 916-917, 2008.
18. Liu, X., Y. A. Liu, S. L. Li, F. Wu, and Y. L. Wu, "A threesection dual band transformer for frequency-dependent complex load impedance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 10, 611-613, 2009.
19. Zhang, H. and K. J. Chen, "A stub tapped branch-line coupler for dual-band operations," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 106-108, 2007.
20. Cheng, K. K. and F. L. Wong, "A novel approach to the design and implementation of dual-band compact planar 90o branch-line coupler," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2458-2463, 2004.