A new compact CPW-fed slot antenna for UWB applications is presented in this paper. The slot in the ground plane is asymmetric which helps in wide band impedance matching. The radiating element is a star-shaped geometry fed by a double stepped co-planar waveguide. Three antennas are designed with this geometry. Out of these three antennas, a compact antenna is proposed. The size of the proposed antenna is 27.2 x 32.2 mm2, and it has a measured impedance bandwidth of 8.7 GHz (3-11.7 GHz). The radiation patterns are stable with respect to frequency and of bi-directional shape in E-plane and omnidirectional shape in H-plane. The measured and simulated results are in good agreement.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
3. Rafi, G. Z. and L. Shafai, "Wideband V-slotted diamond-shaped microstrip patch antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 19, 1166-1167, 2004.
4. Rama Krishna, R. V. S. and R. Kumar, "Design of ultra wideband trapezoidal shape slot antenna with circular polarization," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 67, No. 12, 1038-1047, Dec. 2013.
5. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
6. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Gharakhili, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
7. Lee, K. F., K. M. Luk, K. F. Tong, S. M. Shum, T. Huyn, and R. Q. Lee, "Experimental and simulation studies of the coaxially fed U-slot rectangular patch," IEEE Proceedings of Microwave Antenna Propagation, Vol. 144, No. 5, 354-358, Oct. 1997.
8. Hall, P. S., "Probe compensation in thick microstrip patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 11, 606-607, 1987.
9. Kuo, J. S. and K. L. Wong, "A compact microstrip antenna with meandering slot in the ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 29, No. 2, 95-97, 2011.