A compact planar monopole UWB antenna with quadruple band-notched characteristics is analyzed and presented. By introducing a C-shaped slot, nested C-shaped slot in the radiating patch and U-shaped slot in the feed line, quadruple band-notched characteristics are achieved at frequencies of 2.5, 3.7, 5.8 and 8.2 GHz. The proposed antenna has been fabricated and tested. Measured impedance bandwidth of the antenna is 2.35-12 GHz, which covers Bluetooth and UWB band, for VSWR < 2 and also has four stop bands of 2.44-2.77, 3.42-3.97, 5.45-5.98 and 8-8.68 GHz, for VSWR > 2, for rejecting 2.5/3.5 GHz WiMAX, WLAN and ITU 8 GHz band signals, respectively. The average gain of this antenna is 4.30 dBi with a variation of ±1.8 dBi over the whole impedance bandwidth. Significant gain reduction over the rejected band is also observed. The antenna shows good omnidirectional radiation patterns in the passband with a compact size of 40 mm × 34 mm.
2. Shen, X., M. Guizani, R. C. Qiu, T. Le-Ngoc, and , Ultra-wideband Wireless Communication and Networks, John Wiley & Sons, England, 2006.
3. Oppermann, I., M. Hamalainen, and J. Iinatti, UWB Theory and Applications, Wiley, New York, 2004.
4. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
5. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 6, 296-297, 2005.
6. Schantz, H. G., G. Wolenec, and E. M. Myszka III, "Frequency notched UWB antennas," Proc. IEEE Conferences Ultra Wideband System Technology, 214-218, Nov. 2003.
7. Choi, J., K. Chung, and Y. Roh, "Parametric analysis of a band-rejected antenna for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 3, 287-290, 2005.
8. Liu, J., S. Gong, Y. Xu, X. Zhang, C. Fengm, and N. Qi, "Compact printed ultra-wideband monopole antenna with band-notched characteristics," Electron. Letters, Vol. 44, No. 12, 710-711, Jun. 2008.
9. Huang, C. Y., S. A. Huang, and C. F. Yang, "Band-notched ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with inverted C-shaped parasitic strip," Electron. Letters, Vol. 44, No. 15, 891-892, Jul. 2008.
10. Zhu, X. F. and D. L. Su, "Symmetric E-shaped slot for UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1594-1597, 2010.
11. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2012.
12. Sharma, M. M., A. Kumar, S. Yadav, and Y. Ranga, "An ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics using DGS and SRR," Procedia Technology, Vol. 6, 778-783, 2012.
13. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, W. Feng, and X. W. Shi, "Planar antenna for 3G/Bluetooth/WiMAX and UWB applications with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 61-64, 2012.
14. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "Novel planar UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1094-1098, 2009.
15. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, Apr. 2011.
16. Nguyen, T. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 403-406, 2011.
17. Jiang, W. and W. Che, "A novel UWB antenna with dual notched bands for WiMAX and WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 293-296, 2012.
18. Li, T., H. Zhai, L. Li, C. Liang, and Y. Han, "Compact UWB antenna with tunable band notched characteristic based on microstrip open-loop resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1584-1587, 2012.
19. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.
20. Peng, L. and C. L. Ruan, "Design and time-domain analysis of compact multi-band-notched UWB antennas with EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 339-357, 2013.
21., , www.cst.com.