A simple and analytical design methodology for a novel planar four-port structure to implement power divider (PD) or balun with variable power division is proposed in this paper. It consists of two different 3 dB branch-line couplers and one coupled-line phase shifter whose length can be changed to implement variable power division. Different from the previous designs, the power divider and balun with variable power division can be realized in only one circuit by changing the electrical length θ0 of the coupled line when the impedance ratio g is selected. According to the ABCD parameters and linear algebra calculation, closed-form mathematical equations for the circuit electrical values and scattering parameters can be obtained. A prototype with this proposed circuit, operating at 2 GHz, has been designed and fabricated using microstrip technology. Good agreements between the calculated and measured results verify our design.
2. Gysel, U., "A new N-way power divider/combiner suitable for high power applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 116-118, 1975.
3. Ahn, H.-R., Asymmetric Passive Components in Microwave Integrated Circuits, Chapter 6, 156-160, Wiley-Interscience, New Jersey, 2006.
4. Kilic, O. and S. Demir, "Design of a two layer aperture-coupled unequal power divider," 2010 Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 33-35, 2010.
5. Koo, J.-J., S. Oh, and M.-S. Hwang, "A new DGS unequal power divider," European Microwave Conference, 556-559, 2007.
6. Kim, C.-S., J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and J.-B. Lim, "A novel 1-D periodic defected ground structure for planar circuits," IEEE Microwave Guide Wave Lett., Vol. 10, No. 4, 131-133, Apr. 2000.
7. Lim, J.-S., S.-W. Lee, C.-S. Kim, J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A 4 : 1 unequal Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 3, 124-126, Mar. 2001.
8. Oh, S., J.-J. Koo, M.-S. Hwang, and C. Park, "An unequal Wilkinson power divider with variable dividing ratio," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, HI 2007, 411-414, Honolulu, 2007.
9. Fan, F.-F. and Z.-H. Yan, "Out-of-phase unequal power divider based on parallel dual-lines structure," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, Shenzhen, 2012.
10. Chen, J.-X., Z.-H. Bao, L.-H. Zhou, and H. Tang, "Novel equal and unequal power divider using offset parallel-strip lines," 2010 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1308-1311, Chengdu, 2010.
11. Chen, J. X. and Q. Xue, "Novel 5 : 1 unequal Wilkinson power divider using offset double-sided parallel-strip lines," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 3, 175-177, Mar. 2007.
12. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmehr, "Nonradiating arbitrary dual-band equal and unequal 1 : 4 series power dividers based on CRLH-TL structures," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1223-1234, Mar. 2014.
13. Zhao, S. W., Z. X. Tang, Y. W. Wu, and B. Zhang, "An unequal broadband power divider using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," 2010 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband (ICUWB), Vol. 2, 1-3, Nanjing, 2010.
14. Liu, C.-J., K.-M. Huang, and W. Menzel, "An unequal power divider using composite right/left-handed transmission line couplers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Passive Components, IMWS 2008, 216-219, Chengdu, 2008.
15. Zhang, Q. F. and C. Christophe, "Power divider with arbitrary power ratio and arbitrary ripple level using filter synthesis techniques," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1819-1820, 2013.
16. Zhang, Q. F. and C. Christophe, "Erratum: Power divider with arbitrary power ratio and arbitrary ripple level using filter synthesis techniques," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2524, 2013.
17. Zhu, Y.-Z., W.-H. Zhu, X.-J. Zhang, M. Jiang, and G.-Y. Fang, "Shunt-stub Wilkinson power divider for unequal distribution ratio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 3, 334-341, 2010.
18. Li, B., X.-D. Wu, and W. Wu, "A 10 : 1 unequal Wilkinson power divider using coupled lines with two shorts," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 789-791, Dec. 2009.
19. Kang, M.-S., Y. Kim, and Y.-C. Yoon, "An unequal Wilkinson power divider with a high dividing ratio," 2012 7th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), 747-749, 2012.
20. Reed, J. and G. J. Wheeler, "A method of analysis of symmetrical four port networks," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 4, No. 4, 246-252, Oct. 1956.
21. Schiffman, B. M., "A new class of broad-band microwave 90-degree phase shifters," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 6, No. 2, 232-237, Apr. 1958.