In this article, the approach involving Dynamic Threshold Optimization (DTO) algorithm is considered to optimize a new compact reconfigurable antenna to be applied to triple band Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and to ultra wideband (UWB) antenna with multiple bands notched. The antenna is implemented by using the existing techniques, such as loading an L-type band-stop filter, inserting a split ring resonator (SRR) as well as connecting L branches to the radiation disk proposed by us. In case of RFID applications, triple-band RFID 915/2450/5800 MHz are achieved separately. The results prove that this kind of antenna can be applied in RFID reader to avoid interference with other wireless systems. RF MEMS switches are used to reconfigure the antenna to be suitable for the application in the notched UWB communication systems. The DTO algorithm program is implemented using MATLAB-software and linked to the CST Microwave studio software to simulate the antenna. In addition, the optimized antenna is assessed using the Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) program written with MATLAB to validate the results. The experimental results for the RFID and UWB antennas show good agreement with simulated ones. The radiation patterns are satisfactorily omnidirectional across the antenna's operation bands.
2. Pope, G. S., M. Y. Loukine, D. M. Hall, and P. H. Cole, "Innovative systems design for 13.56MHz RFID," Wireless and Portable Design Conference, 240-245, Burlington, Massachusetts, 1997.
3. Mahmoud, K. R., "Design optimization of a bow-tie antenna for 2.45 GHz RFID readers using a hybrid BSO-NM algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 105-117, 2010.
4. Lu, F., Q. Feng, and S. Li, "A novel CPW-fed bow-tie slot antenna for 5.8 GHz RFID tags," PIERS Proceedings, 327-330, Cambridge, USA, Jul. 2-6, 2008.
5. Mayer, L. W. and A. L. Scholtz, "Dual-band HF/UHF antenna for RFID tags," Proceeding of IEEE 68th Vehicular Technology Conference, Vol. 21, No. 24, 1-5, Calgary, BC, Sep. 2008.
6. Yoon, J. H. and Y. C. Lee, "Modified bow-tie slot antenna for the 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN bands with a rectangular tuning stub," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 1, 126-130, Jan. 2011.
7. Abu, M. and M. K. A. Rahim, "Triple-band printed dipole tag antenna for RFID," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 145-153, 2009.
8. Mobashsher, T., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Triple band RFID reader antenna for handheld applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 7, 1629-1632, Jul. 2011.
9. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new metaheuristic with application in applied electromagnetic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 425-491, 2007.
10. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new gradient-like metaheuristic for multidimensional search and optimization," Int. J. Bio-Inspired Computation, Vol. 1, 217-238, 2009.
11. Formato, R. A., "Improved CFO algorithm for antenna optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 19, 405-425, 2010.
12. Qubati, G. M., R. A. Formato, and N. I. Dib, "Antenna benchmark performance and array synthesis using central force optimization," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 5, 583-592, 2010.
13. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 645-654, Feb. 2005.
14. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A compact dual-/multi-band wireless LAN antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 527-530, 2005.
15. Wang, J., "Particle swarm optimization with adaptive parameter control and opposition," J. Computational Information Systems, Vol. 7, No. 12, 4463-4470, 2011, http://www.jofcis.com.
16. Formato, R. A., "Parameter-free deterministic global search with simplified central force optimization," Advanced Intelligent Computing Theories and Applications (ICIC2010), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 6215, 309-318, D.-S. Huang, Z. Zhao, V. Bevilacqua, and J. C. Figueroa, Eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010.
17. Hayes, B., "Quasirandom ramblings," American Scientist Magazine, Vol. 99, 282-287, Jul.-Aug. 2011, www.americanscientist.org.
18. Montaser, A. M., K. R. Mahmoud, A. B. Abdel-Rahman, and H. A. Elmikati, "Design Bluetooth and notched-UWB E-shape antenna using optimization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 279-295, 2013.
19. Montaser, A. M., K. R. Mahmoud, and H. A. Elmikati, "Design of hexa-band planar inverted-F antenna using hybrid BSO-NM algorithm for mobile phone communications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 1, 99-110, Jan. 2013.
20. Montaser, A. M., K. R. Mahmoud, and H. A. Elmikati, "An interaction study between PIFAs handset antenna and a human hand-head in personal communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, 21-42, 2012.
21. Kingsley, N., D. E. Anagnostou, M. Tentzeris, and J. Papapoly-merou, "RF MEMS sequentially reconfigurable sierpinski antenna on a °exible organic substrate with novel DC-biasing technique," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1185-1192, Oct. 2007.
22. Costantine, J., C. G. Christodoulou, and S. E. Barbin, "A new reconfigurable multi band patch antenna," SBMO/IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, IMOC 2007, 75-78, Oct. 29-Nov. 1, 2007.
23. Zammit, J. A. and A. Muscat, "Tunable microstrip antenna using switchable patches," The 2008 Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC 2008), 233-236, Mar. 17-18, 2008.