A closely spaced dual-band notched UWB MIMO antenna is proposed in this paper. A traditional semi-circular monopole with ultra-wideband operation is chosen as an element of the proposed MIMO antenna. When two of the UWB monopoles are put together closely, the mutual coupling between them is apparently strong. To reduce the coupling between the antenna elements, a T-shaped branch is inserted between them, which reduces the mutual coupling obviously over the entire operating band. Also, the T-shaped branch can perform as a compensating radiator which can lower the operating frequencies of the proposed antenna. In order to achieve dual band-notched characteristics, meandering slots are cut in the patches, and symmetrical C-shape strips are nearly placed to the monopoles' feed-lines. The meandering slot is for lower band notch (WiMAX, 3.3-3.7 GHz) while the C-shape strips are for upper band (WLAN, 5.15-5.825 GHz). The measured radiation efficiencies, peak gains and radiation patterns are illustrated and show good agreement as anticipated.
2. , "Federal Communications Commission Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's Rules Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission System from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz Federal Communications Commission ," ET-Docket, FCC, 98-153, 2002.
3. Romme, J. and B. Kull, "On the relation between bandwidth and robustness of indoor UWB communication," Proc. IEEE Conf. Ultra-Wideband Systems and Technologies , 255-259, 2003.
4. Sturm, C., M. Porebska, E. Pancera, and W. Wiesbeck, "Mutiple antenna gain in ultra-wideband indoor propagation," Proc. 2nd Eur. Conf. Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP) , 1-4, 2007.
5. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Gallo, B. Bernardo-Clemente, and M. Ferrando-Bataller, "Ultra-wideband slot ring antenna for diversity applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 7, 478-480, 2010.
6. Zhang, S., Z. Ying, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Ultrawideband MIMO/diversity antennas with a tree-like structure to enhance wideband isolation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1279-1282, 2009.
7. Jusoh, M., M. F. Jamlos, M. R. Kamarudin, and F. Malek, "A MIMO antenna design challenges for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 36, 357-371, 2012.
8. Hong, S., K. Chung, J. Lee, S. Jung, S.-S. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1352-1356, 2008.
9. Najam, A., Y. Duroc, and S. Tedjni, "UWB-MIMO antenna with novel stub structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 245-257, 2011.
10. Li, J.-F., Q.-X. Chu, Z.-H. Li, and X.-X. Xia, "Compact dual band-notched UWB MIMO antenna with high isolation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4759-4766, 2013.
11. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3411-3419, 2008.
12. Liu, X.-L., Y.-Z. Yin, and J.-H. Wang, "A compact dual band-notched UWB antenna with meandering slot and C-shape strips," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2631-2636, 2013.
13. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003.
14. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications ," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 36, No. 4, 149-172, 1987.
15. Thaysen, J. and K. B. Jakobsen, "Multiple antennas arm effective MIMO systems," Microwaves & RF, 65-78, 2007.