A right-handed circularly polarized (CP) substrate integrated waveguide (SIW)-based square ring-slot antenna array is proposed in this study. The array is composed of four elements and is based on a sequential rotation feeding technique to achieve wideband circularly polarization performance and high polarization purity. The feeding network for the array adopts SIW power divider having phase delay characteristic. In order to validate our design method, the antenna array is fabricated and measured. The measured impedance and axial ratio (AR) bandwidths are 8.5% (VSWR<2) and 6.1% (AR<3 dB), respectively, whereas the impedance and AR bandwidths for the element are 6.5% and 1.5%. It can be observed that this technique has significantly enhanced the AR bandwidth. Moreover, the antenna has a stable CP peak gain more than 12 dBi from 9.15 GHz to 9.5 GHz.
2. Chen, P., et al., "A substrate integrated waveguide circular polarized slot radiator and its linear array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 59, 120-123, 2009.
3. Luo, G. Q., et al., "Development of low proile cavity backed crossed slot antennas for planar integration," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2972-2979, 2009.
4. Kim, D., et al., "X-band circular ring-slot antenna embedded in single-layered SIW for circular polarization," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 668-669, 2009.
5. Kim, D., et al., "Design of SIW cavity-backed circular-polarized antennas using two different feeding transitions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 13980-14003, 2011.
6. Lacik, J., "Circularly polarized SIW square ring-slot antenna for X-band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 2590-2593, 2012.
7. Li, Y., et al., "Axial ratio bandwidth enhancement of 60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide-fed circularly polarized LTCC antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4619-4626, 2012.
8. Masa-Campos, J. L. and P. Rodriguez-Fernandez, "Monopulse circularly polarized SIW slot array antenna in millimetre band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 857-868, 2011.
9. Peng, J. Z., S.-Q. Xiao, X.-J. Tang, and J. C. Lu, "A novel Ka-band wideband slot antenna for system-on-package application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1705-1712, 2008.
10. Luo, G. Q., X. H. Zhang, L. X. Dong, W. J. Li, and L. L. Sun, "A gain enhanced cavity backed slot antenna using high order cavity resonance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1273-1279, 2011.
11. Teshirogi, T., M. Tanaka, and W. Chujo, "Wideband circularly polarized array antenna with sequential rotations and phase shifts of elements," Proceeding International Symposium on Antennas Prop. ISAP, 117-120, Tokyo, Japan, 1985.
12. Hall, P. S., "Application of sequential feeding to wide bandwidth circularly polarized microstrip patch arrays," IEE Proceedings H Microwave, Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 136, No. 5, 390-398, 1989.
13. Wu, , J.-W. and J.-H. Lu, "2 x 2 circularly polarized patch antenna arrays with broadband operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 39, 360-363, 2003.
14. Lu, Y., D. G. Fang, and H. Wang, "A wideband circular polarized 2 x 2 sequentially rotated patch antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 1405-1407, 2007.
15. Evans, H. and A. Sambell, "Wideband 2 x 2 sequentially rotated patch antenna array with a series feed," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, 292-294, 2004.
16. Chen, A. X., et al., "Development of Ka-band wideband circularly polarized 64-element microstrip antenna array with double application of the sequential rotation feeding technique," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1270-1273, 2011.
17. Soliman, E. A., et al., "Sequential-rotation arrays of circularly polarized aperture antennas in the MCM-D technology," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 581-585, 2005.
18. Fan, F. F., et al., "Sequential rotation feeds microstrip array," Microwave & RF, Vol. 52, 55-58, 2013.
19. Lai, Q., G. Almpanis, C. Fumeaux, H. Benedickter, and R. Vahldieck, "Comparison of the radiation efficiency for the dielectric resonator antenna and the microstrip antenna at Ka band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 11, 3589-3592, Nov. 2008.