In this paper, we propose a novel UHF RFID coupled slot metallic tag antenna with a radome. The proposed tag antenna consists of a frequency tuning slot, imaginary part tuning slot, real part tuning stub, micro-chip, and radome. All simulations were carried out using an Ansys HFSS simulator. The RFID tag antenna was designed and fabricated for use in the Korean and Japanese UHF band of 916.7 to 923.5 MHz. The measured 3 dB frequency bandwidth is 914 to 926 MHz. The measured read range is 12 m on a metallic surface. Details of the proposed tag antenna design, as well as simulated and measured results are presented and discussed.
2. Kovavisaruch, L. O., P. Lertudomtana, and S. Horungruang, "Management truck tire information in logistic industry using RFID technology," Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology, Technology Management for a Sustainable Economy , 1656-1665, 2008.
3. Wang, S. J., S. F. Liu, and W. L. Wang, "The simulated impact of RFID enabled supply chain on pull-based inventory replenishment in TFT-LCD industry," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 112, No. 2, 570-586, 2008.
4. Ke, X., et al., "Establishment of containers management system based on RFID technology," International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, Vol. 6, 329-331, 2008.
5. Lee, J. N., et al., "Design of an ultra-compact UHF passive RFID tag antenna for a medical sample tube," ETRI Journal, Vol. 34, No. 6, 974-977, 2012.
6. Rahman, M. S., Y. G. Park, and K. D. Kim, "Relative location estimation of vehicles in parking management system," International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, Vol. 3, 729-732, 2009.
7. Ali, K. and H. Hassanein, "Passive RFID for intelligent transportation systems," IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 1-2, 2009.
8. Son, H. W., G. Y. Choi, and C. S. Pyo, "Design of wideband RFID tag antenna for metallic surfaces ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 5, 263-265, 2006.
9. Son, H. W. and G. Y. Choi, "Orthogonally proximity-coupled patch antenna for a passive RFID tag on metallic surfaces ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 3, 715-717, 2007.
10. Son, H. W., "Design of RFID tag antenna for metallic surfaces using lossy substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 12, 711-713, 2008.
11. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and C.-C. Wang, "UHF RFID H-shaped tag antenna using microstrip feed design on metallic objects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1828-1839, 2011.
12. Lin, D.-B., C.-C. Wang, J.-H. Chou, and I.-T. Tang, "Novel UHF RFID loop antenna with interdigital coupled section on metallic objects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, , 366-378, 2012.
13. Viani, F., M. Salucci, F. Robol, G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Design of a UHF RFID/GPS fractal antenna for logistics management," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 4, 480-492, 2012.
14. Chen, S.-L., S.-K. Kuo, and C.-T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the steel industry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009.
15. Kim, J.-S., W.-K. Choi, and G.-Y. Choi, "Small proximity coupled ceramic patch antenna for UHF RFID tag mountable on metallic objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 129-138, 2008.
16. Kim, J. W., et al., "Effects of a metal plane on a meandered slot antenna for UHF RFID applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 12, No. 2, 176-184, 2012.
17. Liu, Y., K.-M. Luk, and H.-C. Yin, "A RFID tag metal antenna on a compact his substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 51-59, 2010.
18. Ansoft, "High frequency structure simulator," HFSS Ver. 10, 2005.
19. Choi, W. K., et al., "RFID tag antenna coupled by shorted microstrip line for metallic surfaces," ETRI Journal, Vol. 30, No. 4, 597-599, 2008.
20. Nikitin, P. V., et al., "Sensitivity and impedance measurements of UHF RFID chips," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1297-1302, 2009.
21. Shepard, S., RFID: Radio Frequency Identification, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2005.