A compact, low profile, dual polarized, ultra wideband, frequency selective surface is proposed. It is designed by using two similar metallic array structures separated by dielectric material FR4. The simulated reflection bandwidth (with transmission < -20 dB) for TE incident wave is 8 GHz from 2.87 GHz to 10.87 GHz corresponds to 116%. The unit cell dimension and periodicity are of the order of 0.37λ at the centre frequency. The overall thickness of the proposed FSS is 1.8 mm. The proposed FSS has higher order of band-stop response and good angular stability. The measured transmission response of FSS is very close to simulated response. Design expressions for the resonance frequencies are proposed, and the calculated results are found to be in good agreement with the simulated ones. Finally, a parametric analysis of the proposed FSS is presented.
2. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces: Theory and Design, Wiley, New York, 2000.
3. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
4. Chen, H.-Y. and Y. Tao, "Bandwidth enhancement of a U-slot patch antenna using dual band frequency-selective surface with double rectangular ring elements," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 7, 1547-1553, 2011.
5. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
6. Pirhadi, A., H. Bahrami, and J. Nasri, "Wideband high directive aperture coupled microstrip antenna design by using a FSS superstrate layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2101-2106, 2012.
7. Kushwaha, N. and R. Kumar, "Design of slotted ground hexagonal microstrip patch antenna and gain improvement with FSS screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 51, 177-199, 2013.
8. Arnaud, E., R. Chantalat, M. Koubeissi, T. Monediere, E. Rodes, and M. Thevenot, "Global design of an EBG antenna and meander-line polarizer for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 215-218, 2010.