A novel model for the outage probability prediction in time diversity satellite communication (SatCom) systems operating above 10 GHz is proposed. Due to the migration of operating frequency at Ka band and above, atmospheric phenomena affect the signal. Rain is the dominant fading mechanism. Diversity techniques are the probable solution of the compensation of rain fading. Among the diversity techniques, time diversity has been identified as an efficient and cost effective technique. A method for the prediction of outage performance and diversity gain of time diversity SatCom systems is presented based on the physical assumptions of a well accepted dynamic stochastic model. The new method is tested against with simulated and experimental data with encouraging results.
2. Panagopoulos, A. D., P.-D. M. Arapoglou, and P. G. Cottis, "Satellite communications at Ku, Ka and V bands: Propagation impairments and mitigation techniques," IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials, Vol. 6, No. 3, 2-14, 2004.
3. Maseng, T. and P. Bakken, "A stochastic dynamic model of rain attenuation," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 29, No. 5, 660-669, 1981.
4. Burgueno, A., E. Vilar, and M. Puigcerver, "Spectral analysis of 49 years of rainfall rate and relation to fade dynamics," IEEE Transactions on Communication, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1359-1366, 1990.
5. Kourogiorgas, C. I., et al., "Analysis of 15-months rain rate measurements at NTUA campus," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 505-509, Prague, Czech Republic, March 26-30, 2012.
6. Skraparlis, D., V. K. Sakarellos, A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Performance of N-branch receive diversity combining in correlated lognormal channels," IEEE Communication Letters, Vol. 13, No. 7, 489-491, July 2009.
7. Ismail, A. F. and P. A. Watson, "Characteristics of fading and fade countermeasures on a satellite-earth link operating in an equatorial climate, with reference to broadcast applications," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 147, No. 5, 369-373, 2000.
8. Matricciani, E., "Time diversity as a rain attenuation counter-measure in satellite links in the 10-100 GHz frequency bands," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP06), 1-6, Nice, France, 2006.
9. Fukuchi, H., "Slant path attenuation analysis at 20 GHz for time-diversity reception of future satellite broadcasting," URSI-F Open Symposium Colloque, 6.5.1-6.5.4, Ravenscar, UK, 1992.
10. Ventouras, S., C. L. Wrench, and S. A. Callaghan, "Measurement and analysis of satellite beacon transmissions at frequencies up to 50 GHz. Part 2: Fade & inter-fade duration," , RCRU Project Report D40-3, 2001.
11. Udofia, K. M. and I. E. Otung, "Evaluating time diversity performance on an on-board processing satellite to earth station downlink," Second International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, 325, 2008.
12. Arapoglou, P.-D. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, and P. G. Cottis, "An analytical prediction model of time diversity performance for earth-space fade mitigation," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, 5 Pages, 2008.
13. Fabbro, V., L. Castanet, S. Croce, and C. Riva, "Characterization and modelling of time diversity statistics for satellite communications from 12 to 50 GHz," International Journal of Satellite Communications, Vol. 27, 87-101, 2009.
14. Karlin, S. and H. M. Taylor, A First Course in Stochastic Processes, Academic Press, 1975.
15. Ornstein, L. S. and G. E. Uhlenbeck, "On the theory of brownian motion," Phys. Rev., Vol. 36, 823-841, 1930.
16. Stratonovich, R. L., Topics in the Theory of Random Noise, Vol. 1, Gordon and Breach, New York, 1963.
17. ITU-R. P. 618, , "Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of earth-space telecommunication systems," , Geneva, 2009.
18. ITU-R. P. 1853-1, , "Tropospheric attenuation time series synthesis," International Telecommunication Union, Geneva, 2012.
19. Panagopulos, A. D. and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "On the rain attenuation dynamics: Spatial-temporal analysis of rainfall rate and fade duration statistics," International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, 595-611, 2003.
20. Panagopoulos, A. D. and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Spatio-temporal analysis of rainfall rate for the prediction of slant path fade duration statistics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 100-103, Boston, USA, July 8-13, 2001.