In this document, a simple and efficacious method to estimate the shielding effectiveness of an electrically large enclosure (SEe) made with pierced metallic plate is shown under uniform and isotropic field conditions, which are produced in a reverberation chamber (RC) where the field is well stirred. The estimate is made by the calculation of the transmission cross sections (TCSs) of the walls of an enclosure and absorption cross sections (ACSs) of the inner losses. TCSs and ACSs are connected to the shielding effectiveness (SE) of the walls and inner losses, respectively; the latter are also connected to the reflectivity of the enclosure internal walls. The comparison with measurements made in an RC matches enough. It shows that the method shown here is sound. Moreover, the results support a recent model that connects SEe to SE by the reflectivity of the enclosure internal walls, and show still further that unloaded electrically large enclosures with distributed apertures are not very efficacious.
2. Bahadorzadeh Ghandehari, M., M. Naser-Moghaddasi, and A. R. Attari, "Improving the shielding effectiveness of a rectangular metallic enclosure with aperture by using extra shielding wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 45-50, 2008.
3. Dehkhoda, P., A. Tavakoli, and R. Moini, "Fast calculation of the shielding effectiveness for a rectangular enclosure of finite wall thickness and with numerous small apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 341-355, 2008.
4. Morari, C., I. Balan, J. Pintea, E. Chitanu, and I. Iordache, "Electrical conductivity and electromagnetic shielding effectiveness of siliconeb rubber filled with ferrite and graphite powders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 93-104, 2011.
5. Holloway, C. L., D. A. Hill, J. Ladbury, G. Koepke, and R. Garzia, "Shielding effectiveness measurements of materials using nested reverberation chambers," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 45, 350-356, May 2003.
6. Gifuni, A. and M. Migliaccio, "Use of nested reverberating chambers to measure shielding effectiveness of nonreciprocal samples taking into account multiple interactions," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, 783-786, Nov. 2008.
7. Holloway, C. L., D. A. Hill, M. Sandroni, J. Ladbury, J. Coder, G. Koepke, A. C. Marvin, and Y. He, "Use of reverberation chambers to determine the shielding effectiveness of physically small, electrically large enclosures and cavities," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, 770-782, Nov. 2008.
8. Fang, C.-H., S. Zheng, H. Tan, D. Xie, and Q. Zhang, "Shielding effectiveness measurements on enclosures with various apertures by both mode-tuned reverberation chamber and GTEM cell methodologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 103-114, 2008.
9. Mariani, P. V., F. Moglie, and A. P. Pastore, "Field penetration through a wire mesh screen excited by a reverberation chamber field: FDTD analysis and experiments," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, No. 4, 883-891, Nov. 2009.
10. Lampasi, D. A. and M. S. Sarto, "Shielding effectiveness of a thick multilayered panel in a reverberating chamber," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 579-588, Aug. 2011.
11. Van De Beek, S., R. Vogt-Ardatjew, H. Schipper, and F. Leferink, "Vibrating intrinsic reverberation chambers for shielding effectiveness measurements ," 2012 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC EUROPE), 1-6, Rome, IT, Sep. 17-21, 2012.
12. Migliaccio, M., G. Ferrara, A. Gifuni, A. Sorrentino, F. Colangelo, C. Ferone, R. Cioffi, and F. Messina, "Shielding effectiveness tests of low-cost civil engineering materials in a reverberating chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 54, 227-243, 2013.
13. Corona, P., G. Latmiral, E. Paolini, and L. Piccioli, "Use of reverberating enclosure for measurements of radiated power in the microwave range," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 18, 54-59, May 1976.
14. Corona, P. and G. Latmiral, "Approccio termodinamico allo studio di una camera riverberante elettromagnetica a geometria variabile," , Estratto dal Volume Studi in Onore di Giuseppe Simeon, Istituto Universitario Navale, 309-319, Napoli, Italy,1978.
15. Corona, P., G. Latmiral, and E. Paolini, "Performance and analysis of a reverberating enclosure with variable geometry," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 22, 2-5, Feb. 1980.
16. Hill, D. A., "Plane wave integral representation for fields in reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 3, 209-217, Aug. 1998.
17. Gifuni, A., "On the expression of the average power received by an antenna in a reverberating chamber," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 50, 1021-1022, Nov. 2008.
18. IEC 61000-4-21, , "Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), Part 4-21: Testing and measurement techniques - Reverberation chamber test methods," , International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
19. Hatfield, M. O., "Shielding effectiveness measurements of materials using mode-stirred chambers: A comparison of two approaches," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 30, 229-238, Aug. 1988.
20. Hill, D. A., M. T. Ma, A. R. Ondrejka, B. F. Riddle, M. L. Crawford, and R. T. Johnk, "Aperture excitation of electrically large, lossy cavities," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 36, 169-177, Aug. 1994.
21. Gifuni, A., "On the measurement of the absorption cross section and material reflectivity in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, 1047-1050, Nov. 2009.
22. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1941.
23. Gifuni, A., "Calcolo delle perdite elettromagnetiche nelle pareti delle camere riverberanti," Annali Della Facoltµa di Scienze e Tecnologie, Universita Degli Studi di Napoli ''Parthenope", Napoli, 2004, ISSN 1825-1331.
24. Gifuni, A., A. Sorrentino, A. Fanti, G. Ferrara, M. Migliaccio, G. Mazzarella, and F. Corona, "On the evaluation of the shielding effectiveness of an electrically large enclosure," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 84-91, May 2012.