This paper presents a simple method of tuning the AMC band of a high-impedance surface. The tunability is obtained with only two varactor diodes and a simple biasnetwork. The proposed structure, when used as a ground plane for a microstrip antenna, splits the resonance frequencies on the two sides of a reference antenna frequency. The resonance split is analyzed by employing cavity model and transmission line model of the patch antenna. Considerable tuning range is obtained in both the split bands. The simulated, measured and calculated results are found to be in good agreement.
2. Sievenpiper, D. F., "Forward and backward leaky wave radiation with large effective aperture from an electronically tunable surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 236-247, Jan. 2005.
3. Panayi, P., M. Al-Nuaimi, and I. Ivrissimtzis, "Tuning techniques for planar inverted-F antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 16, 1003-1004, 2001.
4. Kolsrud, A., M.-Y. Li, and K. Chang, "Dual-frequency electronically tunable CPW-fed CPS dipole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 7, 609-611, 1998.
5. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "Dual-band reconfigurable antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 409-416, Feb. 2006.
6. Kitatani, K. and S. Yamamoto, "Coaxial feed-type microstrip patch antenna with variable antenna height," Electron. Commun. Jpn. (Part I: Communications), Vol. 87, No. 2, 10-16, 2004.
7. Aberle, J., S.-H. Oh, D. Auckland, and S. Rogers, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 6, 148-154, 2003.
8. Karmakar, N., "Shorting strap tunable stacked patch PIFA," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2877-2884, 2004.
9. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A varactor-tuned dual-band slot antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 401-408, 2006.
10. Anagnostou, D., G. Zheng, M. Chryssomallis, J. Lyke, G. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 422-432, 2006.
11. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, J.-Y. Qian, H. J. Yoo, A. Grau, and F. de Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable MEMS integrated antennas for adaptive MIMO systems ," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 12, 62-70, 2004.
12. Al-Dahleh, R., C. Shafai, and L. Shafai, "Frequency-agile microstrip patch antenna using a reconfigurable MEMS ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 1, 64-67, 2004.
13. Cetiner, B. A., J. Y. Qian, H. P. Chang, M. Bachman, G. P. Li, and F. de Flaviis, "Monolithic integration of RF MEMS switches with a diversity antenna on PCB substrate," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, 332-335, Jan. 2003.
14. Jung, C. W., M. J. Lee, G. P. Li, and F. de Flaviis, "Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 455-463, Feb. 2006.
15. Liang, J. and H. Y. D. Yang, "Microstrip patch antennas on tunable electromagnetic band-gap substrates," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1612-1617, Jun. 2009.
16. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, S. Talarico, and F. M. Valeri, "An active high impedance surface for low profile tunable and steerable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 676-680, 2008.
17. Sievenpiper, D. F., J. H. Schaffner, H. J. Song, R. Y. Loo, and G. Tangonan, "Two-dimensional beam steering using an electrically tunable impedance surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2713-2722, Oct. 2003.
18. Mias, C. and J. H. Yap, "A varactor-tunable high impedance surface with a resistive-lumped-element biasing grid," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1955-1962, Jul. 2007.
19. Costa, F., A. Monarchio, and G. P. Vastante, "Tunable high-impedance surface with a reduced number of varactors," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 11-13, 2011.
20. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, 2001.
21. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "An equivalent-circuit modeling of high impedance surfaces employing arbitrarily shaped FSS," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 852-855, Charleston, USA, 2009.
22. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "On the bandwidth of high-impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1341-1344, 2009.