In this paper, empirical relations for the evaluation of both the resonant frequency fr and the quality factor Q for the dominant TM010 mode of a circular substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavity resonator are proposed and validated. These formulas are based on well established analytical expressions valid for the case of circular metallic cavity resonator, in which an equivalent radius Req, empirically derived, is employed. Their effectiveness is demonstrated by comparing the empirical predictions with the full wave results.
2. Zheng, B., Z. Zhao, and Y. Lv, "A K-band SIW filter with bypass coupling substrate integrated circular cavity (SICC) to improved stopband performance for satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 17, 95-104, 2010.
3. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, L. Boccia, and V. Ziegler, "Annular ring slot radiating element for integrated millimeter wave arrays," Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2012, 3082-3085, 2012.
4. Khalichi, B., S. Nikmehr, and A. Pourziad, "Reconfigurable SIW antenna based on RF-MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 189-205, 2013.
5. Cheng, Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
6. Jedrzejewski, A., N. Leszczynska, L. Szydlowski, and M. Mrozowski, "Zero-pole approach to computer aided design of in-line SIW filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 517-533, 2012.
7. Huang, Y., Z. Shao, and L. Liu, "A substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter using novel defected ground structure shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 201-213, 2013.
8. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Computation of the resonant frequency and quality factor of lossy substrate integrated waveguide resonators by method of moments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 107-117, 2013.
9. Arnieri, E. and G. Amendola, "Analysis of substrate integrated waveguide structure based on the parallel-plate waveguide Green's function," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1615-1623, 2008.
10. Amendola, G., E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Analysis of lossy SIW structures based on the parallel plates waveguide Green's function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 157-159, 2012.
11. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, and L. Boccia, "Resonant frequencies of circular substrate integrated resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 239-241, 2008.
12. Angiulli, G., E. Arnieri, D. De Carlo, and G. Amendola, "Fast nonlinear eigenvalues analysis of arbitrarily shaped substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) resonators," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1412-1415, 2009.
13. Angiulli, G., "Design of square substrate waveguide cavity resonators: Compensation of modelling errors by support vector regression machines," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1872-1875, 2012.
14. Angiulli, G., D. De Carlo, G. Amendola, E. Arnieri, and S. Costanzo, "Support vector regression machines to evaluate resonant frequency of elliptic substrate integrate waveguide resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 107-118, 2008.
15. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, L. Boccia, and D. De Carlo, "Characterization of lossy SIW resonators based on multilayer perceptron neural networks on graphics processing unit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 1-11, 2013.
16. Domenech-Asensi, G., J. Hinojosa, J. Martinez-Alajarin, and J. Garrigos-Guerrero, "Empirical model generation techniques for planar microwave component using electromagnetic linear regression models," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3305-3311, 2005.
17. Pozar, D., Microwave Engineering, 4rd Edition, Wiley, 2011.
18. Harrington, R., Time-harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, IEEE Press, 2001.
19. Angiulli, G., "On the computation of nonlinear eigenvalues in electromagnetics problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 527-532, 2007.
20. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, 2002.
21. Rawlings, J., S. G. Pantula, and D. A. Dickey, Applied Regression Analysis: A Research Tool, Springer, 1998.
22. Che, W., D. Wang, L. Xu, and C. Li, "Investigation on quality factor of substrate-integrated waveguide resonance cavity," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 8, 2007-2010, 2007.
23. Zelenchuk, D. E., V. Fusco, G. Goussetis, A. Mendez, and D. Linton, "Millimeter-wave printed circuit board characterization using substrate integrated waveguide resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3300-3308, 2012.