A new planar inverted-F antenna with a very large bandwidth starting from 817 MHz to 11.5 GHz (VSWR < 3) is proposed as an alternative for high performance mobile phones intended to cover the major part of the mobile phone frequencies worldwide as well as the ultra-wideband (UWB) frequency range. A prototype of the antenna was constructed and the reflection coefficient and radiation patterns were measured to demonstrate an adequate radiation performance. The antenna dimensions of 4 x 2.5 x 0.5 cm3 are compatible with the requirements imposed by the most recent commercially available smartphones. Besides, the easy construction without a matching network or a complicated geometry is an additional feature that can be reflected in low fabrication cost.
2. Ying, Z., "Antennas in cellular phones for mobile communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, 2286-2296, 2012.
3. Sayem, A. T. M., M. G. Douglas, G. Schmid, B. Petric, and M. Ali, "Correlating threshold power with free-space bandwidth for low-directivity antennas," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 51, 25-37, 2009.
4. Bhatti, R. A., Y. Im, and S. Park, "Compact PIFA for mobile terminals supporting cellular and non-cellular standards," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 2534-2540, 2009.
5. Guo, Y., M. Y. W. Chia, and Z. N. Chen, "Miniature built-inmultiband antennas for mobile handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1936-1944, 2004.
6. Chiu, C. W. and F. L. Lin, "Compact dual-band PIFA with multi-resonators," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 38, 538-540, 2002.
7. Karkkainen, M. K., "Meander multiband PIFA with coplanar parasitic patches," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 15, 630-632, 2005.
8. Cho, Y. J., S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "A dual-band internal antenna with a parasitic patch for mobile handsets and the consideration of the handset case and battery," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 429-432, 2005.
9. Ciais, P., R. Staraj, G. Kossiavas, and C. Luxey, "Compact internal multiband antenna for mobile phone and WLAN standards," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 920-921, 2004.
10. Abedin, M. and M. Ali, "Modifying the ground plane and its effect on planar inverted-f antennas (PIFA's) for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 226-229, 2003.
11. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009.
12. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mambru, and C. Puente, "Multiband handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 348-356, 2010.
13. Nashaat, D. M., H. A. Elsadek, and H. Ghali, "Single feed compact quad-band PIFA antenna for wireless communication applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2631-2635, 2005.
14. Martinez-Vazquez, M., O. Litschke, M. Geissler, D. Heberling, A. M. Martinez-Gonzalez, and D. Sanchez-Hernandez, "Integrated planar multiband antennas for personal communication handsets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 384-391, 2006.
15. Guo, Y. and H. S. Tan, "New compact six-band internal antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 295-297, 2004.
16. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., J. C. Batchelor, R. J. Langley, and M. I. Sobhy, "Single and double layer planar multiband PIFAs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 1416-1422, 2006.
17. Byndas, A., R. Hossa, M. E. Bialkowski, and P. Kabacik, "Investigations into operation of single- and multi-layer configurations of planar inverted-F antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, 22-23, 2007.
18. Chattha, H. T., Y. Huang, M. K. Ishfaq, and S. J. Boyes, "Bandwidth enhancement techniques for planar inverted-F antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 1872-1879, 2011.
19. Gomez-Villanueva, R., R. Linares-y-Miranda, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Bandwidth improvement of a broadband PIFA for multiple mobile services," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 886-890, 2013.
20. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1433-1444, 2002.
21. Wong, K., C. Wu, and S. Su, "Ultrawide-band square planar metal-plate monopole antenna with a trident-shaped feeding strip," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 1262-1269, 2005.