An inverted micro-strip line (IML) is proposed at microwave and millimeter wave frequencies. This IML on high resistivity silicon (HRS) is studied from 10 to 100 GHz and presents an attenuation lower than 0.08 dB/mm on the whole frequency band. A parametric study, in order to minimize the attenuation and the dispersion of the inverted line in the 10-100 GHz bandwidth, is performed using numerical full wave calculations with HFSS (High Frequency Structural Simulator) tool. A complementary study is added: a large variety of characteristic impedances (for instance, from 38 Ω to 87 Ω at 60 GHz) is performed, the change of propagation modes is observed and the qualification and quantification of the losses allows minimizing them. A comparison with a line of the same length and width without ground plane, the Planar Goubau Line (PGL) is reported in the 10-100 GHz band and a first measure of the PGL is performed, in the 55-67 GHz band, presenting the same propagation mode as the IML at 60 GHz. The measured attenuation of 0.064 dB/mm in the 55-67 GHz obtained for the PGL promises a comparable value for the IML in the measured band.
2. Prasad, M., A. S. Gaur, V. K. Sharma, and N. P. Pathak, "Dispersion and attenuation characteristics of suspended microstrip line on multilayer lossy silicon substrate at 60 GHz," International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and THz Waves (2008), 1-2, 2008.
3. Makita, T., I. Tamai, and S. Seki, "Coplanar waveguides on high-resistivity silicon substrates with attenuation constant lower than 1dB/mm for microwave and millimeter-wave bands," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 3, Mar. 2011.
4. Mat, D. A. A., R. K. Pokharel, R. Sapawi, H. Kanaya, and K. Yoshida, "Low-loss 60 GHz patterned ground shield CPW transmission line," IEEE TENCON, 1118-1121, 2011.
5. Pizarro, F., R. Pascaud, O. Pascal, T. Callegari, and L. Liard, "Experimental study of RF/microplasma interaction using an inverted microstrip line," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1187-1190, 2013.
6. Pucci, E., A. U. Zaman, E. Rajo-Iglesias, and P-S. Kildal, "New loss loss inverted microstrip line using gap waveguide technology for slot antenna applications," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 979-982, 2011.
7. San, H., Y. Li, Z. Song, Y. Yu, and X. Chen, "Self-packaging fabrication of silicon-glass-based piezoresistive pressure sensor," IEEE Electron Devices Letters, Vol. 34, No. 6, 789-791, Jun. 2013.
8. Martoglio wideband 3D-transition between coplanar and inverted microstrip on silicon to characterize a line in MEMS technology, L., E. Richalot, G. Lissorgues, and O. Picon, "A ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 4, 378-381, Aug. 20, 2005.
9. Emond, J., M. Grzeskowiak, G. Lissorgues, S. Protat, F. Deshours, E. Richalot, and O. Picon, "A low planar Goubau line and a coplanar-PGL transition on high resistivity silicon substrate in the 57-64 GHz band," Microwave and Optical Technological Letters, Vol. 54, No. 1, 164-168, Jan. 2012.
10. Xu, Y. S. and R. G. Bosisio, "A study of planar Goubau lines (PGLS) for millimeter-and-submillimeter-wave integrated circuits (ICS)," Microwave and Optical Technological Letters, Vol. 43, No. 4, 290-293, Nov. 2004.
11. Laurette, S., A. Treizebre, and B. Bocquet, "Corrugated Goubau lines to slow down and confine THz waves," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3, May 2012.
12. Treizebre, A., M. Hofman, and B. Bocquet, "Terahertz spiral planar Goubau line rejectors for biological characterization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 14, 163-176, 2010.
13. Laurette, S., A. Treizebre, N.-E. Bourzgui, and B. Bocquet, "Terahertz interferometer Goubau-line waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 30, 49-58, 2012.
14. Xu, Y. S., C. Nerguizian, and R. G. Bosisio, "Wideband planar Goubau line integrated circuit components at millimeter waves," IET Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 882-885, Jun. 2011.
15. Treizebre, A., S. Laurette, Y. Xu, R. G. Bosisio, and B. Bocquet, "THz power divider circuits on planar Goubau lines (PGLs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 26, 219-228, 2012.
16. Karim, M. K., M. Sun, L. C. Ong, and Y. X. Guo, "SiP-based 60 GHz transmitter in LTCC," IEEE International Symposium on Radio-frequency Integration Technology (RFIT), 13-15, Nov. 2012.
17. Cao, Z., C. M. Okonkwo, H. P. A. van den Boom, B. Yang, S. Zou, M. Huang, E. Tangdiongga, and A. M. J. Koonen, "Simple and low cost remote-up conversion scheme using only one optical modulator and its application in a 60 GHz radio-over-fiber system," European Conference on Networks and Optical Communications (NOC), 1-4, 2012.