Based on second-order cone programming, we present a new superdirective beamforming method with interferences and noise suppression for small aperture HF receive arrays. In the novel method, low side lobe level (SLL) and nulls are not only used to suppress interferences and noise, but also play an important part in overcoming the low array efficiency brought by superdirective beamforming. According to the actual condition, the new method can present a good tradeoff between directive gain, array efficiency, SLL, nulls and robustness against array uncertainty. Compared with the existing methods, it is more effective in suppressing interference and noise. The superiority and validity of the proposed method can be illustrated by numerical results.
2. Zhang, S.-S., B.-Y. Wen, and H. Zhou, "Analysis of the higher order Bragg scatter in HF radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 4, 507-517, 2013.
3. Zhang, Z. G., L. G Zheng, H. Xie, and Y. J. Liang, "Compact and high gain wire-structured pentagonal antenna for HF communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Lette, Vol. 6, 75-82, 2009.
4. Uzsoky, M. and L. Solymar, "Theory of superdirective linear arrays," Acta Physica, Ac. Hung., Vol. 6, No. 2, 185-205, 1956.
5. Newman, E., J. Richmond, and C. Walter, "Superdirective receiving arrays," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 26, No. 5, 629-635, 1978.
6. Shamoninaa, E., K. H. Ringhoferb, and L. Solymara, "Configurations optimizing the directivity of planar arrays," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 56, No. 2, 115-119, 2002.
7. Barrick, D. E. and P. M. Lilleboe, "Circular superdirective receive antenna arrays,", Patent No.: US 6,844,849 B1, Jan. 18, 2005.
8. Ma, Y. L., Y. X. Yang, Z. Y. He, and K. D. Yang, "Theoretical and practical solutions for high-order superdirectivity of circular sensor arrays," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 2, 203-209, 2013.
9. Zhou, Q.-C., H. Gao, H. Zhang, and F. Wang, "Robust superdirective beamforming for HF circular receive antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 665-679, 2013.
10. Dandekar, K. R., H. Ling, and G. Xu, "Experimental study of mutual coupling compensation in smart antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun, Vol. 1, No. 3, 480-487, 2002.
11. Hui, H. T., K. Y. Chan, and K. N. Yung, "Compensating for the mutual coupling effect in a normal-mode helical antenna array for adaptive nulling," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 52, 743-751, 2003.
12. Yuan, Q., Q. Chen, and K. Sawaya, "Accurate DOA estimation using array antenna with arbitrary geometry," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1352-1357, 2005.
13. Wei, D., D. L. Su, S. G. Xie, and H. T. Hui, "A fast calculation method for the receiving mutual impedances of uniform circular arrays," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 893-896, 2012.
14. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
15. Liu, D., Q. Feng, W.-B.Wang, and X. Yu, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using inheritance learning particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 205-221, 2011.
16. Zaharis, Z. D., "A modified Taguchi's optimization algorithm for beamforming applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 553-569, 2012.
17. Zaharis, Z. D., K. A. Gotsis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Array beamsteering with side lobe suppression using neural networks trained by Mutated Boolean particle swarm optimized data," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 27, No. 7, 877-883, 2013.
18. Nai, S. E., W. Ser, Z. L. Yu, and H. Chen, "Beampattern synthesis for linear and planar arrays with antenna selection by convex optimization," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3923-3930, 2010.
19. Lebret, H. and S. Boyd, "Antenna array pattern synthesis via convex optimization," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 3, 526-532, 1997.
20. Lobo, M., et al., "Applications of second-order cone programming," Linear Algebra Application, Vol. 284, No. 13, 193-228, 1998.
21. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, and X.-Y. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 1-10, 2008.
22. Liu, J., A. B. Gershman, Z. Q. Luo, and K. M. Wong, "Adaptive beamforming with sidelobe control: A second-order cone programming approach," IEEE Signal Processing Letter, Vol. 10, No. 11, 331-334, 2003.
23. Sturm, J. F., "Using SeDuMi1.02, a MATLAB toolbox for optimization over symmetric cones," Optimization Methods Softw., Vol. 11-12, 625-653, 1999.