This paper presents a novel method to suppress the higher order harmonics in the microstrip patch antennas. A practical 0.75 GHz microstrip patch antenna is fed with a quarter-wave feedline designed by exploiting the dispersion properties of shunt-capacitor-loaded transmission-line metamaterials. It is shown that two higher order harmonic modes at 1.25 and 1.5 GHz are completely eliminated. In addition, there is about a one-fourth reduction in the length of the impedance matching quarter-wave feedline.
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction,", Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
3. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, "Negative Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications," John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & sons, Inc., 2006.
5. Ramakrishna, S. A., "Physics of negative refractive index materials," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 68, No. 2, 2005.
6. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Negative refractive index metamaterials supporting 2-D waves," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1067-1070, 2002.
7. Luo, C., S. Johnson, J. D. Joannopoulos, and J. B. Pendry, "All-angle negative refraction without negative effective index," Physical Review B, Vol. 65, No. 13, 2011041-2011044, 2002.
8. Eleftheriades, G. V., O. Siddiqui, and A. K. Iyer, "Transmission line models for negative refractive index media and associated implementations without excess resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 51-53, 2003.
9. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Overcoming the diffraction limit with a planar left-handed transmission-line lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 11, 117403, 2004.
10. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Mechanisms of subdiffraction free-space imaging using a transmission-line metamaterial superlens: An experimental verification," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 92, 131105, 2008.
11. Eleftheriades, G. V., "Enabling RF/microwave devices using negative-refractive-index transmission-line metamaterials," Radio Science URSI Bulletin, No. 312, 57-69, 2005.
12. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Compact, linear, lead/lag metamaterial phase shifters for broadband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 7, 103-106, 2003..
13. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "A novel composite right-/left-handed coupled-line directional coupler with arbitrary coupling level and broad bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 980-992, 2004.
14. Antoniades, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A broadband Wilkinson balun using microstrip metamaterial lines," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 209-212, 2005.