Measurements of mm-wave excitation spectra of high-order whispering gallery modes in free-space cylindrical disk resonators as functions of resonator thickness have been made. Resonators in the form of tight stacks of thin dielectric disks excited via dielectric waveguides have been used in the experiment. Experimental conditions for the excitation of thin-disk resonators have been found. A simple approach for the modeling of resonator spectra and recovery of dielectric parameters has been proposed.
2. Kirichenko, A. Y., Y. V. Prokopenko, Y. F. Filippov, and N. T. Cherpak, Quasi Optical Solid State Resonators, Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 2008 (in Russian).
3. Dormidontov, A. V., A. Y. Kirichenko, Y. F. Lonin, A. G. Ponomarev, Y. V. Prokopenko, G. V. Sotnikov, V. T. Uvarov, and Y. F. Filippov, "Auto-oscillatory system based on dielectric resonator with whispering-gallery modes," Tech. Phys. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 1, 85-88, 2012.
4. Ouyang, X. and B.-Y. Wang, "Inline TE01δ mode dielectric-resonator filters with controllable transmission zero for wireless base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 38, 101-110, 2013.
5. Lee, H., T. Chen, J. Li, K. Y. Yang, S. Jeon, O. Painter, and K. J. Vahala, "Chemically etched ultrahigh-Q wedge-resonator on a silicon chip," Nature Photonics, Vol. 6, 369-373, 2012.
6. Kheir, M. S., H. F. Hammad, and A. Omar, "Broadband material characterization using traveling-wave whispering-gallery-mode dielectric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 35-52, 2012.
7. Paez, E., M. A. Azpurua, C. Tremola, and R. C. Callarotti, "Uncertainty estimation in complex permittivity measurements by shielded dielectric resonator technique using the Monte Carlo method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 101-119, 2012.
8. Yurchenko, V. B., "High-Q reflection notch method for mm-wave measurements of large dielectric losses using a stack resonator: Analysis and simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 24, 265-279, 2012.
9. Shaforost, E. N., A. A. Barannik, N. Klein, S. A. Vitusevich, and A. Offenhaeusser, "Nanolitre liquid characterization by open whispering-gallery mode dielectric resonators at millimeter wave frequencies," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 104, 074111, 2008.
10. Taeb, A., M. Neshat, S. Gigoyan, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "A low-cost millimeter-wave whispering gallery-mode-based sensor: Design considerations and accurate analysis," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 4, No. 3, 341-348, 2012.
11. Shen, Y. and J.-T. Shen, "Nanoparticle sensing using whispering-gallery-mode resonators: Plasmonic and Rayleigh scatterers," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 85, 013801, 2012.
12. Rosenblit, M., P. Horak, S. Helsby, and R. Folman, "Single-atom detection using whispering gallery modes of microdisk resonators," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 70, 053808, 2004.
13. Nozaki, K., A. Nakagawa, D. Sano, and T. Baba, "Ultralow threshold and single-mode lasing in microgear lasers and its fusion with quasi-periodic photonic crystals," IEEE Journ. Selected Topics Quant. Electron., Vol. 9, No. 5, 1355-1360, 2003.
14. Wanga, Q. J., C. Yan, N. Yu, J. Unterhinninghofen, J. Wiersig, C. Pfeugl, L. Diehl, T. Edamura, M. Yamanishi, H. Kan, and F. Capasso, "Whispering-gallery mode resonators for highly unidirectional laser action," PNAS, Vol. 107, No. 52, 22407-22412, 2010.
15. Dobromyslov, V. S. and A. E. Bereza, "Features of intrinsic oscillations of laminar dielectric resonators," Inter-University Topical Collection, Vol. 48, 38-44, 1984.
16. Kirichenko, A. Y., G. V. Golubnichaya, I. G. Maximchuk, and V. B. Yurchenko, "Q-factor and excitation e±ciency of laminar quasioptical dielectric resonators," Radiophysics and Electronics, Vol. 4(18), No. 2, 91-95, 2013 (in Russian).
17. Tsuji, M., H. Shigesawa, and K. Takiyama, "Analytical and experimental investigations on several resonant modes in open dielectric resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 32, 628-633, 1984.
18. Annino, G., M. Cassettari, I. Longo, and M. Martinelli, "Whispering gallery modes in a dielectric resonator: Characterization at millimeter wavelength," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 45, 2025-2034, 1997.
19. Akay, M. F., Y. Prokopenko, and S. Kharkovsky, "Resonance characteristics of whispering gallery modes in parallel-plates-type cylindrical dielectric resonators," Microwave Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 40, 96-101, 2004.
20. Syms, R. R. A. and J. R. Cozens, Optical Guided Waves and Devices, McGraw-Hill, Berkshire, 1992.