A novel compact dielectric loaded Exponentially Tapered Slot (ETS) antenna using Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) technology is presented in this paper for Millimeter (Mm) wave wireless communication applications. The dielectric loaded ETS antenna and compact SIW feed are fabricated on a single substrate. The compact SIW feeding structure results in a considerable reduction in size and eliminates the unwanted radiations from feed. The proposed antenna is designed, fabricated, and investigated at 60 GHz. Furthermore, the proposed antenna design is simulated using electromagnetic software CST Microwave Studio and the comparison is made with Ansys HFSS to validate the design procedure. The measurement results are compared with simulated results.
2. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60 GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 1, 140-147, 2002.
3. Meinel, H. H., "Commercial applications of millimeter waves --- History, present status and future trends," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1639-1653, Jul. 1995.
4. Yong, S. K. and C.-C. Chong, "An overview of multi gigabit wireless through millimeter wave technology: Potentials and technical challenges," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2007, Article ID 78907, 2007.
5. Xiao, S.-Q., M.-T. Zhou, and Y. Zhang, "Millimeter Wave Technology for Wireless LAN, PAN and MAN," Auerbach Publications, 2008.
6. Huang, K.-C. and D. J. Edwards, Millimeter Wave Antennas for Gigabit Wireless Communications, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. Publications, 2008.
7. Deslandes, D. and K.Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, Feb. 2003.
8. Wu, K., Y. J. Cheng, T. Djerafi, and W. Hong, "Substrate-integrated millimeter-wave and terahertz antenna technology ," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2219-2232, Jul. 2012.
9. Lee, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB Vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
10. Cheng, S., H. Yousef, and H. Kratz, "79 GHz slot antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) in a flexible printed circuit board," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 64-70, Jan. 2009.
11. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, and D. Busuioc, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010.
12. Gibson, J. P., "The Vivaldi aerial," Proceedings of 9th European Microwave Conference, 101-105, Brighton, UK, Jun. 1979.
13. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, No. 2, 89-92, Apr. 1988.
14. Yngvesson, K. S., T. Korzeniowski, Y. Kim, E. Kollberg, and J. F. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna --- A new integrated element for millimeter wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, No. 2, 365-374, Feb. 1989.
15. Hood, A. Z., T. Karacolak, and E. Topsakal, "A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultra wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 656-660, 2008.
16. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics," Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Telecommun. Modern Satellite, Cable Broadcasting Service, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-3, Oct. 2003.
17. Costanzo, S., G. A. Casula, A. Borgia, G. Montisci, I. Venneri, G. Di Massa, and G. Mazzarella, "Synthesis of slot arrays on integrated waveguides," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 962-965, 2010.
18. Liu, Q., Y. Liu, Y. Wu, J. Shen, S. Li, C. Yu, and M. Su, "A substrate integrated waveguide to substrate integrated coaxial line transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 36, 249-259, 2013.
19. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, Feb. 2005.
20. Abaei, E., E. Mehrshahi, G. Amendola, E. Arnieri, and A. Shamsafar, "Two dimensional multi-port method for analysis of propagation characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 261-273, 2012.
21. Langley, D., P. Hall, and P. Newham, "Balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna for wide bandwidth phased arrays," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 143, No. 2, 97-102, Apr. 1996.
22. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for uwb see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
23. Hood, A. Z., T. Karacolak, and E. Topsakal, "A small antipodal Vivaldi antenna for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 556-560, 2008.
24. Kedar, A. and K. S. Beenamole, "Wide beam tapered slot antenna for wide angle scanning phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 235-251, 2011.
25. Alhawari, A. R. H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and R. S. A. R. Abdullah, "Antipodal Vivaldi antenna performance booster exploiting snug-in negative index metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 27, 265-279, 2012.
26. Nocedal, J. and S. J. Wright, Numerical Optimization, Springer, August 2000.
27. Jia, Y., Y. Liu, S. Gong, T. Hong, and D. Yu, "Printed UWB end fire Vivaldi antenna with low RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 11-30, 2013.
28. Ramesh, S. and T. R. Rao, "Dielectric loaded exponentially tapered slot antenna for wireless communications at 60 GHz," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 43-54, 2013.