In this paper, a 4 × 4 indoor Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Ultra-Wideband (MIMO-UWB) measurement campaign in the 2-5 GHz bandwidth is presented. The main contribution of this work is the impact of radio-wave polarization as well as the effect of frequency dependence on the capacity of MIMO-UWB systems working in an office environment. To accomplish this, the capacityfor different polarizations is analyzed under two different assumptions: constant or variable Signalto-Noise Ratio.
2. Abouda, A. A., H. M. El-Sallabi, and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of antenna array geometry and ULA azimuthal orientation on MIMO channel properties in urban city street grid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 257-278, 2006.
3. Winters, J., "On the capacity of radio communication systems with diversity in a Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 871-878, Jun. 1987.
4. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, Mar. 1998.
5. Di Bari, R., Q. H. Abbasi, A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "An advanced UWB channel model for body-centric wireless networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 79-99, 2013.
6. Gesbert, D., M. Shafi, D.-S. Shiu, P. Smith, and A. Naguib, "From theory to practice: An overview of MIMO space-time coded wireless systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 281-282, Apr. 2003.
7. Zhao, X., S. Geng, L. Vuokko, J. Kivinen, and P. Vainikainen, "Polarization behaviors at 2, 5 and 60 GHz for indoor mobile communications," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 27, No. 2, 99-115, Nov. 2003.
8. Kyritsi, P., D. C. Cox, R. A. Valenzuela, and P. W. Wolniansky, "Effect of antenna polarization on the capacity of a multiple element system in an indoor environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1227-1239, Aug. 2002.
9. Wallace, J. W., M. A. Jensen, and A. L. Swindlehurst, "Experimental characterization of the MIMO wireless channel: Data acquisition and analysis," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 2, No. 2, 335-343, Mar. 2003.
10. Sibille, A., "Time-domain diversity in ultra-wideband MIMO communications," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 316-327, 2005.
11. Wang, L.-C., W.-C. Liu, and K.-J. Shieh, "On the performance of using multiple transmit and receive antennas in pulse-based ultrawideband systems," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, No. 6, 2738-2750, Nov. 2005.
12. Yang, L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Analog space-time coding for multiantenna ultra-wideband transmissions," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 52, No. 3, 507-517, Mar. 2004.
13. Liu, H., R. C. Qiu, and Z. Tian, "Error performance of pulse-based ultrawideband MIMO systems over indoor wireless channels," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, No. 6, 2939-2944, Nov. 2005.
14. Malik, W. Q. and D. J. Edwards, "Measured MIMO capacity and diversity gain with spatial and polar arrays in ultrawideband channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2361-2370, Dec. 2007.
15. Zheng, F. and T. Kaiser, "On the evaluation of channel capacity of multi-antenna UWB indoor wireless systems," Proc. 2004 IEEE Int. Symp. Spread Spectrum Tech. Applicat., 525-529, Sydney, Australia, Aug. 30-Sep. 2, 2004.
16. Zheng, F. and T. Kaiser, "On the evaluation of channel capacity of UWB indoor wireless systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, No. 12, 6106-6113, 2008.
17. Malik, W. Q. and D. J. Edwards, "Measured MIMO capacity and diversity gain with spatial and polar arrays in ultrawideband channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2361-2370, 2007.
18. Erceg, V., P. Soma, D. S. Baum, and S. Catreux, "Multiple-input multiple-output fixed wireless radio channel measurements and modelling using dual-polarized antennas at 2.5 GHz," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 3, No. 6, 2288-2298, Nov. 2004.
19. Oestges, C., V. Erceg, and A. J. Paulraj, "Propagation modeling of MIMO multipolarized fixed wireless channles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 53, No. 3, 644-654, May 2004.
20. Quitin, F., C. Oestges, F. Horlin, and P. De Doncker, "Polarization measurements and modeling in indoor NLOS environments," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 9, No. 1, 21-25, Jan. 2010.
21. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J. M., J.-V. Rodriguez, and L. Juan-Llacer, "Polarized indoor MIMO channel measurements at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3818-3828, 2008.
22. Chehri, A., P. Fortier, and P. M. Tardif, "Large-scale fading and time dispersion parameters of UWB channel in underground mines," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, Article ID 806326, 10 Pages, 2008.
23. Nkakanou, B., G. Y. Delisle, and N. Hakem, "Experimental char-acterization of ultra-wideband channel parameter measurements in an underground mine," Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Vol. 2011, Article ID 157596, 7 Pages, 2011, DOI: 10.1155/2011/157596.
24. Ghaddar, M. and L. Talbi, "NLOS UWB undermining experimental characterization & performance evaluation using MB-OFDM," PIERS Proceedings, 1530-1534, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
25. Garcia-Pardo, C., J.-M. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, M. Lienard, D. P. Gaillot, and P. Degauque, "Double directional channel measurements in an arched tunnel and interpretation using ray tracing in a rectangular tunnel," Progress In Electromagnetics Pesearch M, Vol. 22, 91-107, 2012.
26. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Genetic algorithm based MIMO capacity enhancement in spatially correlated channels including mutual coupling," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 63, No. 3, 689-701, Springer, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-010-0159-5.
27. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Capacity optimization of MIMO wireless communication systems using a hybrid genetic-Taguchi algorithm," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 71, No. 2, 2013, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-012-0857-2.
28. Durrani, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "An investigation into the interference rejection capability of a linear array in a wireless communications system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 35, No. 6, 445-449, Dec. 2002.
29. Durrani, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the interference rejection capabilities of linear and circular arrays in CDMA systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1130-1134, Apr. 2004.
30. Lienard, M., P. Degauque, J. Baudet, and D. Degardin, "Investigation on MIMO channels in subway tunnels," Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 332-339, 2003.
31. Garcia-Pardo, C., J.-M. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, A. Garrido-Cervantes, J. D. Muhehe, and L. Juan-Llacer, "Frequency dependence of 2-5 GHz polarized UWB channel parameters in o±ce environment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2970-2979, Jun. 2012.