This paper considers the radar scenes which contain numerous rapidly changing terrains, i.e., there are more than one clutter-edge in the environment. This kind of radar scenes incurs sharply degradation in the performance of the present adaptive constant false alarm rate (CFAR) detectors as the statistical characteristic of reference cells is highly heterogeneous. To solve this problem, we propose a homogenous reference cells selector to improve the performance of CFAR detector in highly heterogeneous environment. The selector is comprised of an M-N clutter-edge detector cascading a terrain classifier. The M-N clutter-edge detector is used to obtain multiple clutter-edges in heterogeneous environment. With the detected clutter-edges, the terrain classifier is derived to obtain identical distributed range cells. Based on the selector, a modified Log-t-CFAR detector is suggested. Finally, the performance of the proposed selector and CFAR detector is evaluated by measured data and computer simulation.
2. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "Automatic threshold selection in OS-CFAR radar detection using information theoretic criteria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 157-175, 2011.
3. Habib, M. A., M. Barkat, B. Aissa, and T. A. Denidni, "CA-CFAR detection performance of radar targets embedded in `non centered chi-2 Gamma' clutter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 135-148, 2008.
4. Liu, N. N., J. Li, and Y. Cui, "A new detection algorithm based on CFAR for radar image with homogeneous background," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 13-22, 2010.
5. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "A new adaptive linear combined CFAR detector in presence of interfering targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 367-387, 2011.
6. Hao, C., F. Bandiera, and J. Yang, "Adaptive detection of multiple point-like targets under conic constraints," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 231-250, 2012.
7. Liu, B. and W. Chang, "A novel range-spread target detection approach for frequency stepped chirp radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 275-292, 2012.
8. Erfanian, S. and V. T. Vakili, "Introducing excision switching-CFAR in K distributed sea clutter," Signal Processing, Vol. 89, No. 6, 1023-1031, 2009.
9. Zhang, R. L., W. X. Sheng, and X. F. Ma, "Improved switching CFAR detector for non-homogeneous environments," Signal Processing, Vol. 93, No. 1, 35-48, 2013.
10. Hong, S. W. and D. S. Han, "Performance analysis of OS-CFAR with binary integration for Weibull background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, 1357-1366, 2013.
11. Ghobadzadeh, A., A. Pourmottaghi, and M. R. Taban, "Clutter-edge detection and estimation of field parameters in radar detection," Electrical Engineering (ICEE) Conference, 1-6, 2011.
12. Chen, B., P. K. Varshney, and J. H. Michels, "Adaptive CFAR detection for clutter-edge heterogeneity using Bayesian inference," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1462-1470, 2003.
13. Pourmottaghi, A., M. R. Taban, and S. Gazor, "A CFAR detector in a nonhomogenous Weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 2, 1747-1758, 2012.
14. Owolawi, P. A., "Rainfall rate probability density evaluation and mapping for the estimation of rain attenuation in South Africa and surrounding islands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 155-181, 2011.
15. Ravid, R., P. K. Varshney, and J. H. Michels, "Optimal CFAR detection in Weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 31, No. 1, 52-64, 1995.
16. Goldstein, G. B., "False-alarm regulation in log-normal and Weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, 84-92, 1973.
17., "Moving and stationary target acquisition and recognition (MS-TAR),", DARPA/AFRL, Database website: https://www.sdms.afrl.af.mil/datasets/mstar/.
18. Drosopoulos, A., "Description of theOHGR database,", Tech. Note No. 94-14, Defence Research Establishment Ottawa, 1994, Data-base website: http://soma.crl.mcmaster.ca/ipix/dartmouth/index.htm.
19. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2001.