A novel printed monopole antenna covering 2.4-2.484 GHz (Bluetooth), 2.5-2.69 GHz (IMT-E) and 3.1-10.6 GHz (UWB) frequency bands is presented. The entire frequency bands are obtained by a modified U-shaped radiator and a modified ground plane. To prevent possible interference between UWB systems and other existing wireless systems such as WLAN and WiMAX, a SCRLH resonator structure is placed next to the feed line. Characteristics of the Bluetooth and IMT-E bands are further enhanced by two quarter-wavelength strips added on each side of the radiator. The proposed antenna can be easily printed on a 1.6-mm-thick FR4 substrate with dimensions of 30 × 41 mm2. Simulation and experimental results show that the antenna yields an impedance bandwidth of 2.3-2.8 and 3-12 GHz with -10 dB reflection coefficient, except for the dual notched bands of 3.2-3.6 for WiMAX and 4.9-6.1 GHz for WLAN. The electrical characteristics in frequency and time domain show suitability of this antenna for use in UWB systems.
2. Zhou, D., S. Gao, F. Zhu, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, and J. D. Xu, "A simple and compact planar ultra wide-band antenna with single or dual band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 47-65, 2012.
3. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Design and analysis of planar ultra-wide band antenna with dual band notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 523-536, 2012.
4. Ghatak, R., B. Biswas, A. Karmakar, and D. R. Poddar, "A circular fractal UWB antenna based on descartes circle theorem with band rejection capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 235-248, 2013.
5. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Small planar coplanar-waveguide-fed dual band-notched monopole ultra-wideband antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 4, 920-924, 2011.
6. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Very compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna with quarter-wavelength slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 411-414, 2012.
7. Wu, Z. H., F. Wei, X. W. Shi, and W. T. Li, "A compact quad band-notched UWB monopole antenna loaded one lateral L-shaped slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 303-315, 2013.
8. Djaiz, A., M. Nedil, M. A. Habib, and T. A. Denidni, "Design of a new UWB-integrated antenna filter with a rejected WLAN band at 5.8 GHz," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1298-1302, 2011.
9. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A 3.4/5.5 dual-band notched UWB printed monopole antenna with two open-circuited stubs in the microstrip feedline," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 12, 2973-2978, 2011.
10. Son, T. V. and D. N. Chien, "Dual band-notched UWB antenna based on electromagnetic band gap structures," REV Journal on Electronics and Communications, Vol. 1, 130-136, 2011.
11. Peng, L. and C. Ruan, "Design and time-domain analysis of compact multi-band-notched UWB antennas with EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 339-357, 2013.
12. Liu, X., Y. Yin, P. Liu, J. Wang, and B. Xu, "A CPW-fed dual band-notched UWB antenna with a pair of bended dual-L-shape parasitic branches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 623-634, 2013.
13. Ren, F. C., F. S. Zang, J. H. Bao, Y. C. Jiao, and L. Zhou, "Printed Bluetooth and UWB antenna with dual band-notched functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 39-48, 2011.
14. Dong, Y., W. Hong, L. Liu, Y. Zhang, and Z. Kuai, "Performance analysis of a printed super-wideband antenna," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 949-956, 2009.
15. Li, G., H. Zhai, T. Li, X. Ma, and C. Liang, "Design of a compact UWB antenna integrated with GSM/WCDMA/WLAN bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 409-419, 2013.
16. Yildirim, B. S., B. A. Cetiner, G. Roqueta, and L. Jofre, "Intergrated Bluetooth and UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 149-152, 2009.
17. Hu, C. L., D. L. Huang, H. L. Kuo, C. F. Yang, C. L. Liao, and S. T. Lin, "Compact multibranch inverted-F antenna to be embedded in a laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/IMT-E applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 834-841, 2009.
18. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. Qing, "Small printed ultrawideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 383-388, 2007.
19. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "3.5/5.5 GHz dual band-notch ultra-wideband antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 3, 172-174, 2008.
20. Han, W. and Y. Feng, "Ultra-wideband bandpass filter using simplified left-handed transmission line structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 11, 2758-2762, 2008.
21. Gong, J. Q. and Q. X. Chu, "Miniaturized microstrip bandpass filter using coupled SCRLH zeroth-order resonators," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 12, 2985-2989, 2009.
22. Wei, F., Q. Y. Wu, X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Compact UWB bandpass filter with dual notched bands based on SCRLH resonator," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 1, 28-30, 2011.
23. Elmansouri, M. A. and D. S. Filipovic, "Pulse distortion and mitigation thereof in spiral antenna-based UWB communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3863-3871, 2011.
24. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "A time-domain approach to the synthesis of UWB antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 557-575, 2012.