Mechanical distortions of phased array antennas make transmit pattern distort. The transmit pattern cannot be simply calibrated by compensating the position error of each element since the effect of the mechanical distortions is angle-dependent. To solve this problem, we treat the element position errors measurement as prior knowledge and propose a knowledge-aided (potentially cognitive) transmit pattern design method. When the mechanical distortions occur, the cognitive transmit pattern can still place pattern nulls in the directions of interferences while preserving the main beam response of the target of interest. The proposed method is validated by simulation results.
2. Bergin, J. S., P. M. Techaus, J. E. Don Carlos, and J. R. Guerci, "Radar waveform optimization for colored noise mitigation," 2005 IEEE International Radar Conference, 149-154, Washington, D.C., May 9-12, 2005.
3. Li, J., J. R. Guerci, and L. Xu, "Signal waveform's optimum-under-restriction design for active sensing," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 13, 565-568, 2006.
4. Patton, L. K. and B. D. Rigling, "Modulus constraints in adaptive radar waveform design," 2008 IEEE International Radar Conference, 1, Rome, Italy, May 26-30, 2008.
5. De Maio, A., S. De Nicola, Y. Huang, Z.-Q. Luo, and S. Zhang, "Design of phase codes for radar performance optimization with a similarity constraint," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 57, 610-621, 2009.
6. De Maio, A., Y. Huang, M. Piezzo, S. Zhang, and A. Farina, "Design of optimized radar codes with a peak to average power ratio constraint," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, 2683-2697, 2011.
7. Rummler, W. D., "A technique for improving the clutter performance of coherent pulse trains signals," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 3, 689-699, 1967.
8. Thompson, J. S. and E. L. Titlebaum, "The design of optimal radar waveforms for clutter rejection using the maximum principle," Supplement to the IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 6, 582-589, 1967.
9. Stoica, P., H. He, and J. Li, "Optimization of the receive filter and transmit sequence for active sensing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, 1730-1740, 2012.
10. Romero, R. A. and N. A. Goodman, "Waveform design in signal-dependent interference and application to target recognition with multiple transmissions," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 3, 328-340, 2009.
11. Kay, S. M. and J. H. Thanos, "Optimal transmit signal design for active sonar/radar," 2002 IEEE Conference on Acoustic Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP 02), Vol. 2, 1513-1516, 2002.
12. Kay, S., "Optimal signal design for detection of Gaussian point targets in stationary Gaussian clutter/reverberation," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 1, 31-41, 2007.
13. Kay, S., "Optimal detector and signal design for STAP based on the frequency-wavenumber spectrum,", 2010, http://www.Ele.uri.Edu/faculty/kay/New%20web/downloadable%20files/STAP signal design AFOSR.pdf.
14. Guerci, J. R., "Theory and application of covariance matrix tapers for robust adaptive beamforming," IEEE Transcations on Signal Processing, Vol. 47, 977-985, 1999.
15. Guerci, J. R., Cognitive Radar: The Knowledge-aided Fully Adaptive Approach, Artech House, Boston/London, 2010.
16. Takahshi, T., N. Nakamoto, M. Ohtsuka, T. Aoki, Y. Konishi, and M. Yajima, "A simple on-board calibration method and its accuracy for mechanical distortions of satellite phased array antennas," EuCAP, 1573-1577, 2009.
17. Aubry, A., A. DeMaio, A. Farina, and M. Wicks, "Knowledge-aided (potentially cognitive) transmit signal and receive filter design in signal-dependent clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic System, Vol. 49, 93-117, 2013.
18. Keydel, W., "Perspectives and visions for future SAR systems," IEE Radar Sonar Navigation, Vol. 150, 97-103, 2003.
19. Wang, H. S. C., "Performance of phased-array antennas with mechanical errors," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 28, 535-545, 1992.
20. James, K., D. Peterman, and V. Glavac, "Distortion measurement and compensation in a synthetic aperture radar phased-array antenna," 2010 14th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the American Electromagnetics and the American Electromagnetics Conference, 978-982, 2010.
21. Maity, D., U. Halder, and S. Das, "An informative differential evolution algorithm with self adaptive re-clustering technique for the optimization of phased antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 361-380, 2012.
22. Li, W.-T., X.-W. Shi, and Y.-Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
23. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.