This paper proposes a square ring patch antenna for GPS L1 band application. The square ring patch located on the center of an FR4 substrate was truncated a square to guide two resonant modes. The dimensions of the truncated square located on the center of the patch controls the antenna's frequency band. Larger truncated square creates longer resonant path that decreases the resonant band. To achieve the CP radiation patterns, the corner-fed method and a truncated L-shaped slot on the ground plane are applied. After the size of the truncated L-shaped slot is optimized, the currents of Eθ and Eφ are around 90° shifts that make the antenna's AR lower than 3 dB. By switching the positions of the feed point and the L-shaped slot, both RHCP and LHCP can be obtained individually. Beside the CP operation, the proposed design also has advantages of planar structure, simple design, low cost, and good performances.
2. Almomani, I.-M., N.-Y. Alkhalil, M.-E. Ahmad, and R.-M. Jodeh, "Ubiquitous GPS vehicle tracking and management system," 2011 EEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT), 1-6, 2011.
3. Buluse, N., J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, "GPS-less low-cost outdoor localization for very small devices," IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 7, No. 5, 28-34, Oct. 2000.
4. Rauf, M., A. N. Abd AlIa, K. H. bin Ghazali, and A. Fakharuddin, "Intelligent multi ID buses navigation system with efficient data transmission technique," 2010 International Conference on Information, Networking and Automation (ICINA), Vol. 1, V1-51-V1-61, 2010.
5. Wang, C.-J. and C.-H. Lin, "A circularly polarized quasi-loop antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008.
6. Lin, Y.-C., W.-S. Chen, B.-Y. Lee, S.-Y. Lin, and H.-W. Wu, "Small inverted-U loop antenna for GPS application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1033-1044, 2010.
7. Tang, T.-C., C.-H. Tsai, K.-H. Lin, Y.-T. Huang, and C.-Y. Chen, "Fractal GPS antenna design on piezoelectric substrate," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 991-994, 2010.
8. Yang, S.-L. S., A. A. Kishk, and K.-F. Lee, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with L-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1780-1783, 2008.
9. Wong, K.-L., C.-C. Huang, and W.-S. Chen, "Printed ring slot antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, No. 1, 75-77, Jan. 2002.
10. Tzeng, Y.-B., C.-W. Su, and C.-H. Lee, "Study of broadband CP patch antenna with its ground plane having an elevated portion," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC 2005), 1-4, 2005.
11. Sim, C.-Y.-D., S.-C. Lu, J.-S. Row, and S.-H. Chen, "Dual-band antenna design for GPS and UMTS applications," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, 1-4, 2007.
12. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009.
13. Chen, W.-S., Y.-C. Su, K.-M. Lin, C.-M. Cheng, Y.-Z. Chiou, and C.-K. Wang, "A novel square ring patch antenna for GPS signal reception," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 128, Taipei, Mar. 25-28, 2013.
14. Gao, S. and J. Li, "FDTD analysis of a sized-reduced, dual-frequency patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 59-77, 1999.
15. Chen, W.-L. and G.-M. Wang, "Small size edge-FED Sierpinski carpet microstrip patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 195-202, 2008.