A Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) planar array is presented using a right handed circularly polarized (RHCP) element with four crossed tilted radiating slots. In addition, a pair of metallic tuning vias is included to really improve the reflection of longest slots. A corporate feeding network over SIW has been designed for distributing the input signal to 128 radiating elements, divided into 8 progressive wave linear arrays of 16 elements each. The designed planar array has been manufactured and measured to verify the antenna performance. 25.5 dB gain, 2.33 dB axial ratio, as well as 85% radiation efficiency values have been experimentally achieved at 17 GHz. A 3% usable bandwidth (16.75-17.25 GHz) is obtained due to the typical frequency main beam tilt dispersion in the elevation plane of the progressive wave arrays.
2. Montisci, G., "Design of circularly polarized waveguide slot linear arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3025-3029, Oct. 2006.
3. Chen, P., W. Hong, Z. Kuai, and J. Xu, "A substrate integrated waveguide circularly polarized slot radiator and its linear array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 8, 120-123, 2009.
4. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010.
5. Simmons, A., "Circularly polarized slot radiators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 5, 31-36, Jan. 1957.
6. Trinh-Van, S., H. B. Kim, G. Kwon, and K. C. Hwang, "Circularly polarized spidron fractal slot antenna arrays for broadband satellite communications in Ku-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 203-218, 2013.
7. Masa-Campos, J. L., S. Klinger, and M. Sierra-Perez, "Parallel plate patch antenna with internal rectangular coupling patches and TEN0 mode excitation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat, Vol. 57, No. 7, 2185-2189, Jul. 2009.
8. Sekretarov, S. and D. M. Vavriv, "A wideband slotted waveguide antenna array for SAR systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 165-176, 2010.
9. Chen, X.-P., K. Wu, L. Han, and F. He, "Low-cost high gain planar antenna array for 60-GHz band applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 6, 2126-2129, Jun. 2010.
10. Sanchez-Olivares, P. and J. L. Masa-Campos, "Slot radiator with tuning vias for circularly polarized SIW linear array," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Mar. 2012.
11. Hirokawa, J., K. Sakurai, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "Matching-slot pair for a circularly polarized slotted waveguide array," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 137, No. 6, 367-371, 1990.
12. Garcia-Valverde, D., J. L. Masa-Campos, P. Sanchez-Olivares, B. Taha-Ahmed, and J. Corcoles-Ortega, "Linear patch array over substrate integrated waveguide for Ku band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Letters, No. 99, Jan. 2013.
13. Hirokawa, J., K. Sakurai, M. Ando, and N. Goto, "An analysis of a waveguide T junction with an inductive post," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 3, 563-566, Mar. 1991.
14. Lin, S., S. Yang, A. E. Fathy, and A. Elsherbini, "Development of a novel UWB vivaldi antenna array using SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 369-384, 2009.
15. Cheng, J.-C., E. S. Li, W.-F. Chou, and K.-L. Huang, "Improving the high-frequency performance of coaxial-to-microstrip transitions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 6, Jun. 2011.